1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota tells suppliers that some scratches or blemishes are acceptable

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota tells suppliers that some scratches or blemishes are acceptable

On one hand, sure it reduces waste. But on the other hand, it seems like the easier way out (and cheaper way, by using lower quality suppliers that may have a higher rate of non-perfect parts) than to require top quality parts.

Not a fan of the "unless they really take a good look". The reason we didn't have to is because Toyota built their reputation on quality and durability. Sure, scratches and blemishes won't affect the function of the part (I assume there's still stringent QC there) but it's also knowing that I'm paying for a good product. There's a reason other manufacturers (Japanese too!) can charge less for their products.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I've had a lot of cars - some were well assembled - the 1996 Mazda 323(Familia) and a Daihatsu Charade - both cheap cars, but panel gaps were great - the first which I particularly noticed. Nissan - nope. VOLVO - a bit hit and miss, but better quality materials, just not as well put together.

Then in 2006 I bought a KIA Rio - Korean. And I'm sure I could have measured every panel gap and not find a MICRON out - amazing. Then a FORD Focus - South African - HeeHeeHee - you could measure the panel gap differences by the number of thicknesses of a comb!! But superbly reliable - and cheap to run, being DIESEL.

I stuck with FORD - and got a FIESTA - and was a bit "wondering" with THAILAND as the manufacturing place. Like the KIA, it was 100% improvement on the South African FOCUS.

PRIUS - nope. Panel gaps not great - tailgate was worst - but the dealer contacted TOYOTA and was told it was within range. And I've had more recalls and warranty claims than any previous car. But - I'd consider another TOYOTA with 7yr drivetrain warranty and 10 yr Hybrid warranty - all unlimited kms.

3. Richard2005

Richard2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously this needs to be monitored carefully .. but reducing waste by accepting a blemish that has no functional impact is a good decision for the environment.

Prashanta likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like they are following teslas game plan again. musk is pure genius

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does that mean corporate Toyota presumes their owners are sloppt indifferent pigs when it comes to Quality? Jeez. Know your audience. Yea - any manufacturer setting the bar lower is never a good thing.