1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to begin selling battery chargers in 2012, also compatible with non-Toyota plug-in cars.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota to launch home electric car chargers in 2012: report | Reuters

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm probably going to need one of those for my PHV.

But there's also this quote in the article about the BYD Chinese F3DM:
    The company, which will base its American headquarters in downtown Los Angeles, plans to start by opening about five dealerships in early 2012, where it will also sell the e6 pure electric car (with a promised 200-mile range), as well as BYD solar panels, solar-shaded parking systems, home energy-storage systems, charging systems and LED lighting.

Solar home charging stations would be pretty cool.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hmm, I just bought a used FJ Cruiser to use in the winter. I guess I'm behind the "correct" trend. ;)

4. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That brings up a great point. I agree/believe that there are circumstances in which people still need an all-terrain (gas-powered?) vehicle in the garage for heavy snow and certain conditions. In a future where everyone has Prii and electric cars, what are we going to use for all-terrain. Will Toyota make a parallel hybrid FJ Cruiser? What do you foresee for all-terrain in 25 years from now ?
    If everyone is using 200-mile range EVs, I suppose we would have gasoline available for winter back up. (as long as the irresponsible city yuppies don't decide to go on a 12mpg GS450 AMG buying binge again just to drive around the city).

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

Just 2 things Rybold -

1) You're a dollar short, and several hours late:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...brid-electric-vehicle-chargers-next-year.html
    2) EV's make EXCELENT snow plows:

Other than that . . . keep up the good work
    :D

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    These are two different things, there is snow and there is all-terrain. For snow the volvo phev v60 seems like a great combination. Alright, maybe swap the diesel 4 to a flex fuel turbo charged 4 cylinder (you need to turbo to change boost to get the most out of E100 to E10). Using a big battery and electric motors to provide for 4wd seems like the no brainer choice.

For all terain a similar ice two wheels, motors 2 wheels makes sense. You may choose a smaller battery and lose the plug, but at a minimum in the era of new cafe standards I expect these things to move to flex fuel hybrids at the least.

7. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Last time I checked, February 21 comes before February 24. :)

Will your little car be able to perform search and rescue operations in the blizzards of Iceland and allow scientists access to blizzard extremes to perform scientific research (and will it make it back home) ?
    I believe the intent of the previous post was to ask what we will be using the future when we MUST use all-terrain vehicles that require a lot of energy (reread that post).

1 person likes this.