1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota To Build In Mississippi

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://www.courant.com/business/hc-toyota0...dlines-business

Toyota disclosed the site for its eighth vehicle assembly plant in North America, saying it will be built on a 1,700-acre site at Blue Springs, about 10 miles northwest of Tupelo. It also considered sites in neighboring Arkansas and Tennessee.

The Mississippi plant will manufacture 150,000 Highlanders a year. It also will create 2,000 badly needed jobs in an area with an economy that has slowed because of losses in furniture manufacturing jobs.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 28 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]397752[/snapback]</div>
    Great! I am all for it. And none of these jobs will be union! All the better. Like i said, I currently have four Toyotas in my driveway and one german car (a holdout) - from used to be an all-american driveway to ZERO! Hate unions, will never buy a union product if i can avoid it - love Toyota taking over the lead from GM.

Excellent article on Toyota in BusinessWeek last week.

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I only wish they were manufacturing Prii at the new plant! Then I'd make a trip to the factory just to see them in production :)

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Congrats to Mississippi. Roanoke, VA was in the mix for the plant about a year ago. Unfortunately, the local governments wouldn't do anything to convince Toyota that Roanoke was the right place. Oh well.

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It might also help with the economic recovery from the hurricane season 2 yrs. ago.

6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 28 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]397770[/snapback]</div>
    Some people say the AMA is a union.

7. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Feb 28 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]397771[/snapback]</div>
    There's a rumor floating around my neck of the woods that the UAW is courting to have someone take over the soon to be vacated Ford plant in St Paul to produce hybrid cars. Haven't seen anything in print yet but there was brief mention of it on the local news. Could it be???

P.S. The Ford plant in itself is quite green, they have thier own hydro power plant that supplies all (I believe) electrical needs.

8. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Feb 28 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]397855[/snapback]</div>
    This area lost about 1500 furniture manufacturing jobs in the past two years (jobs going overseas). This plant will provide better jobs for more people.