1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to cut domestic output as Prius loses North American mojo

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JamesBurke, Dec 5, 2014.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheaper crude takes toll:Toyota to cut domestic output as Prius loses North American mojo- Nikkei Asian Review

NAGOYA -- Falling oil prices have prompted consumers in North America to buy gas guzzlers instead of the fuel-efficient Prius hybrid car, forcing Toyota Motor to reduce overall vehicle production in Japan.

The automaker had initially planned to churn out some 13,000 vehicles at domestic plants every business day but recently notified suppliers that daily output will drop by about 500 in January. Domestic production in the quarter to March will undershoot the earlier plan by around 20,000 units.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes sense, bring on the sequoia's! is there something larger than a redwood they can name their next vehicle after?

Okinawa and F8L like this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    More likely that the plant producing the PiPs will be allocated for the FCEV................

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These numbers are reductions from projected production. Would be interesting to know how these compare to actual production the last two winters.

Drive down the price of oil so stupid Americans run out and buy gas sucking pigs which increases the demand for oil and the price goes back up. Rinse and repeat. Local gas is still $2.89 which $1 is more than it was when they had to get rid of those fuel suckers last time because of the expense.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds good to me. Let the idiots buy the biggest baddest guzzler they can barely afford now while Saudi Arabia is trying to stop the US production and Iranian production by making it not profitable. When they finally close up shop the price can go back up and now we will have another boom in hybrid and EV prices. All those new shiny SUVs will be abandoned, left at home while the news fills with stories of "gas prices are too high, now I can't afford to drive across town for a cheeeeezeburger".

JeffHastings and Merkey like this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The cheap gaso price is a very recent development, I'd be a little skeptical that that's the only thing going on.
    In particular, there is a ton of competition from other hybrids/PHEV/EV starting with Camry, FORD, Honda, Tesla, etc.

Toyota could have sold a lot more PiP's/Prii this year, seemed like Toyota blew that off for some reason such as internal constraints: MrBigh above has a theory the Prius/PiP production was slowed for FCV. I don't know if that's true but it's some internal choice like that Toyota are not telling us. So now they have low gaso prices to say that's what is going on....maybe partly.

OK enough conspiracy theories now I will read the article!

GrumpyCabbie and Trollbait like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, it is all because of cheap oil, and nothing to do with the current model being long in the tooth with more competition on the fuel economy front.

JeffHastings likes this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Then why are SUV and behemoth sales up while more fuel efficient options down?

dbcassidy likes this.
  9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    cafe is at an all time high. I don't see a switch to low efficiency. Here is the full market
    November 2014 U.S. Vehicle Sales Rankings - Top 279 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR
    Those going up double digits in order of volume ytd
    Ram pick up
    corrola
    honda CR-V
    chevy cruze
    toyota Rav 4
    GMC Sierra
    Nissan Rogue
    Nissan Sentra

It looks a lot like the product cycle is responsible. Now you can take a single month out of context and see
    Silverado
    Ram Pick up
    orrola
    honda CR-V
    escape
    chevy cruze
    sonata
    ford explorer
    GMC Sierra
    Nissan Rogue
    Nissan Sentra
    Jeep Charakee

Which does look like switches are being made to less efficient vehicles, but seasonality will catch up even at these gas prices. Those new silverado's are likely much more efficient than the 11 year old ones they are replacing.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gas was still over $3 a gallon in September, and didn't start dropping fast until October. The Prius sold over 14,000 in August, but that dropped to just under 8000 in September.

Yes, some people are turning back the FSPs because of the low gas prices, but that isn't the sole reason Prius sales dropped around 42%. The Prius v and c dropped 22% and 27% over the same time period. Why aren't they down as much as the liftback?

austingreen likes this.
  11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sad to think that such a major personal expenditure like a vehicle, turns on the weekly price of filling your tank at the pump.

12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    And when the price of gasoline goes back up they will be on nightly news filling up and crying. They will dump their gas guzzlers at any loss. People never learn.

JeffHastings likes this.
  13. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PiP is plus 2,000 ytd14 over ytd13 even though it was minus 1,500 for Oct14 vs. Oct13. Dianne said she was low on inventory and waiting for the My15 to start coming. Can't sell them if you don't have them.
    But there are 3 loads coming.
    HEIJIN
    Destination: US LGB
    ETA: 2014-12-05 11:00 (UTC)
    ANDROMEDA LEADER
    ETA: 2014-12-09 12:00 (UTC)
    CONTINENTAL HIGHWAY
    ETA: 2014-12-16 04:00 (UTC)

Noticed VW sales were off too. Victim of their own success last year I'm thinking.

Greg, saw your identical twin over on hockey chat winning about the Pens beating up his Jets. Used to be some pretty good sissy fights between the two back when the Jets were the Flames. Then we won the cup and the Flames/Jets?

austingreen likes this.
  14. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I sold my gas guzzler last month for my prius when prices started dropping. Come on, it's not gonna stay low.

Plus it hurts a lot less filling up for $20-$25 for 400-500 miles compared to $60-70 for 250-275 miles any day. Used to pump 17 gallons into my charger every week, now it's more like 10 every 2 weeks. I love it.

55-60 mph on CC listening to Sirius radio is so relaxing...

What's kinda funny is now my motorcycle gets worse mpg than my car!! Haha! (2013 FZ1 geared down 1 tooth) gets only 30-35 mpg compared to my prius @ 45+\-.......lol
    Riding bike to work used to save me money not so much anymore. It is slightly quicker and more nimble than the pri though....:)

Personally I think I picked a great time to buy my prius. I got a great deal so can't complain at all.

#14 Blizzard_Persona, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I just read the whole article and its full of drivel

Cheaper crude takes toll:Toyota to cut domestic output as Prius loses North American mojo- Nikkei Asian Review

ytd US sales of the corola jumped 30,000 units while ytd sales of the prius liftback dropped 21,500. Unless the corola is a guzzer, something is really wrong with the reasoning. The US sales of the camry were also up 18,000. The big drop in prius liftback sales have been in Japan, and that is the primary reason for the big cut back. I would definitely cut back US forecasts of the prius liftback as other efficient cars look more attractive especially at lower gas prices. One way to drop the US price of the prius, which would lift volume, would be to manufacture the gen IV in the US, but this article really seems to be a plant to make excuses not to do that.

Other problem with this article
    Last I checked I lived in Texas not Mexico, and the Toyota truck plant is closer to me than mexico is, so someone should get that right. Tacoma sales are down a little this year, and tundra sales are up a little more than tacoma is down. The trucks definitely haven't risen like the corola made in mississippi, but they are a lot more profitable, and I can see forecasts going up next year.

16. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Low gas prices , Michigan State Government, wants to double triple or more the gas tax , while
    The prices are low ,, then when prices return to normal high prices Michigan residents , can
    Grab their ankles ,,,,, food prices and every thing will go up in price ,,,

17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Bingee: What are your choices? Toll roads, pay taxes and have bridges and roads repaired, not pay taxes and watch infrastructure deteriorate.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Don't tax thee, don't tax me, tax the man behind the tree.

18. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    High MPG is not the most important reason Americans buy a car. More important is the fun of driving. And Priuses are not fun to drive.

Since numerous gas cars have reached 40 MPG, the actual difference in cost versus a Prius is very small. Further, with the Prius being more expensive than a gas car, the Prius isn't economical at all compare to 40 mpg gas cars. Economically, with lower gas prices, the Prius makes even less sense to buy.

So I wouldn't call gas car buyers stupid. They are making the smart decision for themselves.

Hybrid car makers have to make hybrids fun and competitive with gas cars. BMW is doing so with its $120,000 i8. Toyota needs to do the same thing to be competitive at a lower price point.

iPhone ?

F8L likes this.
  19. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yeah well I've owned 2 of those so called 40mpg gas cars over the last few years. One was a mazda skyactive 3 hatchback......no way in hell was that a 40 mpg car, try 26-28 mpg in my commute / mixed driving...

After that I bought a Chevy cruze eco 6spd, 30 +\- mpg on a good day. I did like that car though and a k&n CAI did help throttle response. But yet again not a 40 mpg car..... Possibly if you live next to the freeway and only drive freeway with no stop n go.

Prius is what it is. And honestly my persona handles really well. This is coming from a guy that has owned plenty of sports / turbo and high HP cars.

#19 Blizzard_Persona, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  20. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog » Japan November 2014: Daihatsu Wake and Toyota Esquire land
    November 2014 U.S. Passenger Car Sales Rankings - Top 157 Best-Selling Cars In America - Every Car Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Ok we can see here where the drops really are. In
    Japan the prius liftback dropped 37% yoy for november, and 27% compared to 2013 ytd
    US the prius liftback dropped 18% yoy for november, and 15.5% compared to 2013 ytd

The number of units sold in japan dropped much more dramatically than in the US. YTD 287,000 prii have sold in the US and Japan. It is still the 3rd best selling vehicle in Japan, but it was number 1 in 2012.