1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to Finish Mississippi Plant, Produce Prius-branded Hybrids by 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just 6 months ago news outlets were reporting that the stalled Mississippi plant would no longer build the Prius. What a difference a few months make. Now the Japanese newspaper the Nikkei is reporting that not only will Toyota finish the plant, but that the first American-made Prius should roll off the line by 2011. The plant in Tupelo, MS was started in 2006 and had intially been slated to produce the Toyota Highlander, but with the success of the Prius and the decline in SUV sales Toyota decided to build the Prius there instead. Economic conditions forced the plant construction to be halted in December of 2008. Toyota's last official statement to PriusChat regarding the plant was just last week in our live chat, where Kevin Butt said, "We continue to evaluate our capacity in NA, and we don't have any announcements right now. However, when it's completed, it will be the a model sustainable plant." Via AllCarsElectric

1 person likes this.
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Prius-branded Hybrids". I hope that includes _the_ Prius. Maybe they'll start making more of the regular Prius there and switch the Japanese over to PHEV. That way Japan keeps the high-margin high end and the rest of the world gets the normal vehicles.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    YEEEE!!! HAAAAAA!!!!!

Time for a letter ... we need a 'visitors center' ... Ok, invite me and a few of my Dixie Prius friends for the grand opening!!!

Are they taking applications? Do they need a 60 year old, network engineer, floor sweeper, water-boy, Prius tester???

Bob Wilson

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No kidding! who wouldn't want to work on such a great ride. It'd give me a chance to see if I could do like the johnny cash songs says:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-zzJnKtDg]YouTube - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash - One Piece At A Time[/ame]

on an equally funny note about working on the Prius, when I graduated law school, my cap said, "will sue for food" ... I'd sue for a Prius, too!

:p

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Excellent news. Happy Holidaze!!!

6. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four