1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to hike prices on U.S. models

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by boulder_bum, May 7, 2008.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota to hike prices on some U.S. models - May. 7, 2008

Darn the economy!

2. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Doesn't mention the prius... so no change to prius invoice or msrp in USD?

3. nuclianba

nuclianba Jr Member? Thats what she said

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. Weirdo23

Weirdo23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, I'm so glad I placed my order on Monday. Hopefully I dodged this bullet. Please deliver my new Car Toyota!

:)

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Half-speed ahead!

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's less than inflation, less than the drop in the value of the dollar. It's not a bargain for us, but I would have expected more of an increase.

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, the Prius is still a great deal. Even at $400 more, that typically would only take another couple months of ownership for it to pay itself off in fuel costs alone compared to your average vehicle.

If Toyota would move production of the Prius to the US they would be more insulated from the drop in the value of the dollar, and the car would be more appealing to customers who want to buy American. Win-win!

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If they can maintain manufacturing quality.

9. nuclianba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maybe....Toyota doesnt measure their net earnings and income in American Dollars though, as they arent an American company...so no matter where they make the car, their net revenue falls when the value of the dollar falls. Plus, another major factor has been rising commodity prices, like steel and other metals used in production, not to mention plastics, and those prices are going to hit you no matter where you build.

Really moving the production to the US only saves them on transport costs across the Pacific...which are actually a shockingly low number when compared to the price of the car, and the fact that labor is then paid in dollars and not the yen, but again i bet actual production labor costs in the car are low compared with material costs, R+D recoop costs, etc, which arent tied to the dollar at all.

Now I haven't studied this thoroughly by any means, so its possible commodity prices are lower in the US, or tariff issues would make it cheaper to produce here, etc...but those are separate issues. Simply moving production here does not protect you against the dollar changing value, it really has no effect. The problem is they SELL the car here, so no matter where its produced, its price and revenue is tied to the American Dollar.

10. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why wouldn't they? They build a whole lot of cars here in the states already a couple of different plants. Just about all the Camrys you see on the road are built in the USA out of Kentucky, I think.
    Who cares if revenue falls if they can maintain profits?

Then why would they build any cars here in the USA? Wouldn't they want to keep production in Japan where they can pay Japanese workers?

11. nuclianba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, but in the US, profits are also measured in US dollars, so when those convert to YEN, profits are also less...

There are clear advantages to having plants in the US, chief among them being the supply chain...Im not arguing that its more expensive to have plants in the US, my point is that having plants here doesnt magically make the problem of fluctuating currencies go away. It doesnt matter if they build the car in America or Japan, Toyota's overall revenue and overall product will still take a hit when the dollar falls. If Toyota decides to move plants to america to build the prius, protection from currency fluctuation wont be one of those reasons.

I understand the argument that in america, production costs are in dollars, and sales price is in dollars, so when the dollar falls, who cares (whereas cars made in japan have production costs in yen, but sales price still in dollars, so when the dollar falls, the the profit drops). But it doesnt really work this way, because commodity prices are shooting up, so the production costs in america in dollars would still go up when the dollar weakens because all that steel etc in imported from asia. It comes back to my point, no matter where you build, your profit takes a hit when the sale price is in the weak currency, aka the dollar right now.