1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to supply hybrid systems to Subaru parent

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota City, Japan – Toyota will supply hybrid systems to Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), the parent company of Subaru, and help train FHI engineers in hybrid technology, according to the Green Car Congress. Toyota became a major shareholder in FHI in October, following its purchase of shares from General Motors.

Toyota will be delivering core components, including drive and control systems, and is reportedly considering integrating Fuji engineers with its own engineers in hybrid car development. Earlier this year, FHI unveiled a prototype of a turbo parallel hybrid system for Subaru, which uses a 10 kW motor in combination with a 2.0-litre engine used in the Subaru Legacy.

Source: CanadianDriver

2. habel

habel New Member

Does GM still have a stake in Subaru/FHI??

3. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    GM sold it's share of Subaru in October. Toyota bought the majority of what was sold. Toyota is now eyeing production of Toyota cars at Subaru's Lafayette IN plant.

4. habel

habel New Member

OK, I see.

Well, GM have had a buying frenzy when it comes to gobble up all possible car producers around the world - and now it's time to sell off again. And probably with a loss as well....

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is a clever approach especially if the starter is integral and/or BAS operated. The tricky part is dealing with variable road conditions as this is a primary power transfer mechanism between the traction electric and ICE system. Of course this only works when rolling whereas the HSD works all the time.

I don't know enough about the Estima but I understand the rear wheels are electrically driven.

Bob Wilson

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Highlander Hybrid uses three electric motor/generators and HSD. A much nicer system. The only criticism I've seen of it is the rear electric motor isn't good enough for "-real-" off-roading. There is no rear driveshaft, which is nice. Now if they put in a little bigger rear motor with liquid cooling (overheating was the purported limitation) then they'd have something neat!

But it's still a fuel hungry SUV, just not as hungry as others. ;) Perhaps the Subaru engineers will push this design to its' proper conclusion.

8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If by "proper conclusion" you mean low fuel consumption, I wouldn't hold your breath.

The most efficient vehicle in their lineup is the Legacy with the 170hp H4 and CVT transmission getting 23/31 mpg.

I think we'd be looking at Camry Hybrid fuel efficiency numbers ~33mpg at best. I'd like to be surprised and see Civic/Insight numbers, though!

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Connect the dots (I hope some of you can this time):
    http://priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/70206-yay-toyota-ft-86-concept.html
    The amazing shortsightedness of some contributors in the above thread is unfortunate and very disappointing given the developments we are seeing between Toyota and Subaru:

1. Co-development of a small sporty car using an Subaru chassis
    2. Intention of Toyota to revitalize the CRX as a hybrid
    3. Transfer of Toyota hybrid technology in application to small Subaru turbo 4 engines.

I am hopeful that we will see a small sporty car with a turbo and a hybrid system (to eliminate low-end turbo lag) acting together to improve both performance and fuel consumption.

1 person likes this.
  10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it works like my Subaru it will also include a leaking gasket dripping oil onto the exhaust system. It was one of their earlier turbos, and the engine wasn't quite up to all of the boost. We called it "The Crop Duster" for obvious reasons.

Tom

11. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Superb! Sign me up for the waiting list now.
    Perhaps Toyota could bolt a turbo onto the Prius and call it the Prius XRS. It would be capable of the full Prius EPA 50mpg if driven gently and without using the turbo, yet if one wanted to use the turbo, it would achieve the 200hp. Superb! :):):)