1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to triple output capacity for fuel cell vehicles

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JamesBurke, Dec 7, 2014.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Green-car race:Toyota to triple output capacity for fuel cell vehicles- Nikkei Asian Review
    NAGOYA -- Toyota will invest about 20 billion yen ($165 million) to triple domestic production capacity for the Mirai fuel cell vehicle in light of strong corporate and public-sector demand.

The automaker will ramp up output of fuel cell stacks and hydrogen tanks at its headquarters factory in Aichi Prefecture, adding two lines by the end of 2015. Equipment will also be upgraded at another Aichi site that handles vehicle assembly.

Actual numbers are 700 to 2100.

So where is this Hydrogen coming from? If you striping the H2 from natural gas (methane) what is to be done with the H2C byproducts from the process.

In Japan it all has to come from imported LNG or maybe imported crude oil. Did you know that the process of liquifying Methane requires an energy input of 30% to 35%. For every 10 gallons of LNG it takes the energy equivalent of 3 to 3.5 gallons of LNG to run the refrigeration process.

Nuclear? Nothing has changed at Fukushima since day one. Still just pumping water to try and cool the 2 cores that melted down and the spent fuel rods that are still in the adjacent buildings. And yes this radioactive water is still leaking into the ground and out into the ocean.

So what about US? Since the first gas well was ever drilled we have had more natural gas at the wellhead than we have had a market for or a distribution network to deliver. Why can't we be energy self sufficient with what is literally right under out feet.

I envision a system based on natural gas that produces H2 for for transportation uses and uses the carbon rich byproduct to offset or replace coal, crude, or nuclear in electrical power generation. There would be no change in CO2 with NG but the toxic byproducts related to the other three could be reduced or eliminated.

#1 JamesBurke, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the plan is to produce hydrogen from solar cells. yeah, that's it. i'll have some more please.

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Except for solar and wind and the "old" hydro, ALL of this should be considered a transitional step because the ultimate goal MUST be obtaining energy from a renewable source.

Society in it's present energy gobbling form has existed for only about 100 years, maybe 150.

If you envision it lasting for another 500 or 1000 years or longer, the non-renewables are bound to run out sometime.
    And it will probably be sooner rather than later.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tripple output capacity?

CARB and the CAFC lobby said there would be 53,000 fuel cell cars on the streets of California by the end of 2017.

Toyota's Bob Carter said we would be overwhelmed by the number of fuel cell cars sold, which to my mind said toyota would build over half of those or around 27,000.

Then we heard the toyota announcement of 3000 vehicles for the US, about 1/9 in my mind of the Bob Carter hubris.

And then this, that the 3000 is now overwhelmingly big and they are building new lines. They don't even have 1 production line. They are hand building where they built the Lexus LFA. Come on Toyota stop exaggerating. 3000 is a tiny number not a huge number. Ford sells more than that number of F series pick ups a day, and you are trying to convince us that by the end of 2017 its a huge demand.

Stop the fuel cell hype.
    3000 by 2017 is tiny demand, and not worth the $220M California is spending on fuel stations.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's outlets where I work,
    There's outlets at my home,
    Everywhere I go,
    There's outlets on the road,
    I'm living in a plug-in wonderland!

#5 El Dobro, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    austingreen, inferno and F8L like this.
  6. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No reason a fuel cell vehicle can't also be a plugin. Toyota says they're continuing to develop solid state battery technology. The use of nanotube electrodes made from Titanium could allow recharging almost like pouring electrons into the battery like we pour gas into the tank.

Every barrel of oil, cubic foot of gas, and every ton of coal that can be extracted and burnt will be. The energy content and its value are just to great compared to the cost of extraction for it not to be. It is really just a question of over what time frame. When we talk about renewable energy we are talking about the hardware needed to covert natural low grade potential energy into electricity we can use. Until some method of storing and redistributing this renewable energy on a 24/7 bases is found, the fluid on demand nature and high energy densities of fossil fuels will continue to dominate.

Pause cause football is on...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go steelers?

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think in the fight against plug-ins Toyota is the new GM. If toyota finds something great, the odds are that they may bury it. Not really I think the chairman of the board, not the ceo wants to kill plug-ins, but that chairman of the board is much more focused on this. Luckily others are pushing plug-in technology forward.

Toyota's slides on fcv is that they will be cheap and batteries are expensive. They need to fix those 10 year old slides before they add a plug. It is likely bmw, gm, ford, mercedes, nissan will have pre commercial vehicles with plugs, but none of them are hyping hydrogen.

We already know how to do renewables 24/7, you overbuild wind and have pumped hydro or battery back up. No one is thinking 100% rnewable in the next 20 years, but texas has gone from 0 wind to 10% wind since 2000, and easily can be 25% wind and 2% solar in 15 years. The question is price, and solar is dropping fast and wind already is cheap enough for much more to be built. It is fairly simple to drop ghg the 38% promised by building economically viable renewables, more quick cycling ccgt natural gas, and shutting down old coal and natural gas thermal plants.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably won't see significant renew's until oil is almost gone or too expensive to plunder. not in my lifetime.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tesla didn't sell 3000 Roadsters. How long did it take Tesla to sell 3000 cars? I'll say it takes Toyota longer to sell 3000 FCV.

hill likes this.
  11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla was barely a car company when it was selling the Roadster so I don't think that is a fair comparison. They are still barely a car company and look how quickly they sold the Model S. The Model X is already sold out for the coming year and the number is higher than 3,000. :)

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla was founded in 2003, and delivered its first roadster in feb 2008, but was shown to the public in show car form in November 2006. I would take that as the first date. Telsa probably sold its 3000 BEV car in December of 2012. That's 6 years 1 months. Toyota released there first fuel cell car the fcev in October of 1996, so if you count that they are already over a decade behind. The fcv concept car was at the tokyo motor show in november of 2013 though if you want to not count the other toyota fuel cells. We still don't know how long it will take until they sell 3000, and how to count as 90% of these are expected to be leased or may even be given away. If tesla had toyota's resources they would have been able to ship the S 3 years after the roadster in 2011, so even if you want to compare apples to pairs, the fcv falls behind.

http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/intelligent_transport_systems/world_congress/2014detroit/pdf/History_of_Toyota%27s_Fuel_Cell.pdf

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, we're working on cleaning up our power profile. Could be worse. In 2006 coal power made up 23% vs. 5% in 2012.

I'll have to call and see if I can get an updated profile.

Attached Files:

austingreen likes this.
  14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The ramp up of the repair, parts and sales support networks is as much a part of a new technology introduction as the manufacturing. I've bought several cars where one of those was lacking. The car's idea was brilliant, the manufacturing capacity available but the ownership experience a nightmare. Rolling the cars out in limited ares means you can do things in stages and do the later areas based on what you learned in the initial ones.