1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Tundra in trouble?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by malorn, May 31, 2007.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota is in trouble with the new Tundra:

Sales way below expectations, low frontal crash ratings, lower than expected mpg ratings, and now the engines are hatching on the 5.7 liter V8. Too bad. :lol:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-05-29-tundra_N.htm

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]452593[/snapback]</div>
    One thing about Toyota - they will never stop trying to succeed - witness their minivan history (i own one now and it my fourth minivan and first toyota minivan). And i hope they get it right on the Tundra - and drive a nail through the the chest of the American Auto Workers Union(s) - or perhaps hammer it down further! Go Cerebrus Go! The best thing for the American car makers would be destruction of the auto workers unions.

3. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

My fear is Toyota's strategy for dominant market share in ALL segments will lead to compromises in ALL segments.

ie bad QC & QA on parts & suppliers.

They will always design & put the cars together beautifully.
    But stretching & squeezing subcontractors for parts savings on many more units could lead to issues across all model lines including our beloved PRIUS.

4. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    You guys just love Toyota bashing. They had a problem and they fixed it without the government getting involved forcing a recall. It's not like GM, Ford and Chrysler never had to do a recall. They just wait until the DOT force them to fix the problem. The Saturn Vue is the perfect example the rear suspension arm was too thin and under heavy cornering with a full load it would colapse. It took the Federal government to force GM to change the parts.

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ May 31 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]452642[/snapback]</div>
    Not to split hairs, but it took the Federal government to force Toyota to recall the Prius to fix the stalling problem. I also recall it took a lot of intervention and pressure to get Toyota to fix the sludge problem.

Every automaker is anxious to do what it takes to avoid recalls, Toyota is no exception.

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who cares?
    I hope Tundra as well as Hummer, Escalade, Expedition, and the other beheamoths production is switched to more sensible cars, due to lack of sales. There will be plenty on the road and in used car lots for those that actually need the power and size.

7. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    You're correct they should not sell any of those gas guzzlers. Should be for rent only or prove that you actually have a need for such a large gas guzzling vehicle.

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I won't go that far, though. You can't legislate stupidity and gluttounous behavior. But we can penalize it (or at LEAST, stop subsidizing it).

9. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I stopped at the dealer to get a tag extension. My salesman told me that last month he sold 8 Priuses.

In May he sold 6 tundras. He was shocked. Another salesman sold 7 Priuses this month. I believe there is a Promotion going on. for the Tundra.

They had 3 Priuses on the lot, all lower packages. He said they are not really dealing below MSRP on the Prius this month, but next month who knows.

He said lots of folks are test driving and asking about the Prius, more than ever. He said the same is going on at most dealerships.

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's nice to see that the tone of car ads have changed over the past year. I hardly see the hemi crap or hummer ads anymore, but instead see every car commercial touting efficiency. (except the tundra ads, that I'm sick of seeing).

11. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]452593[/snapback]</div>
    That article was dated the 29th - it took you two whole days before posting the much anticipated bashing! Are you not feeling well or just too busy selling Silverados?

12. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]452593[/snapback]</div>
    Personally I hope the Tundra fails miserably so Toyota will give up on trucks and concentrate on cars. However the article says

"Toyota said earlier this month that its pre-launch forecasts are on track for Tundra. It hopes to sell as many as 200,000 this year, up from about 125,000 of the old model last year."

It doesn't sound like the sales are "way below expectations".

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 31 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]452878[/snapback]</div>
    You tell me...last forecast was 200,000 sales in 2007, down form an original of 250,000 sales. In April Toyota sold 14,200 in April and 43,886 ytd. That is about 125,000 annualized. You tell me.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 31 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]452593[/snapback]</div>
    Mr. Goodwrench would have said, "The camshaft is supposed to do that." The article doesn't say where the camshafts originated but mentions the engines come from Alabama. Maybe Toyota should send engine manufacturing to Japan or buy up the subcontractor. Wouldn't it be a hoot if GM turned out to be the subcontractor. :p

15. ozyran

ozyran New Member

You know what I find funny?

I see these little "problems" get pointed out. And Toyota is working hard to fix them!

Now, here's my reply:

Why is it that I've seen a rear differential fail on a 1986 Chevrolet pickup, a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado, and a 1999 GMC Jimmy?

This is 3 different vehicles, and yet they've experienced the same failure!

Oh, and let's not leave out my friend's 1985 Chevrolet pickup. He had 3 seperate TH700R-4 transmissions fail on him - all 3 in quick succession!

While we're at it, let's not leave out the list of recalls on the 1999 Silverado and 2003 Silverado, both of which were GM pickup truck redesigns.

I wonder how big the recall list will be on the 2007 Silverado? Seriously, I doubt I'd see any Chevrolet pickup break 150,000 miles before needing a new rear differential, transmission rebuild, or transfer case rebuild - and that with proper maintenance.

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 31 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]452927[/snapback]</div>
    After pretending the problem didn't exist for two months, Toyota is working hard to fix it. Credit where credit is due tho, it took them 6 years (!) to fix the sludge issues.

17. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I think GM is in trouble , around here they can't even give them away those big honkin trucks 0 down 0 interest 3000-6000 cash back now thats when your in trouble :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ May 31 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]452674[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the 5.7 litre gets nearly identical mileage as the 4.7 litre despite being larger and having more power and torque.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ May 31 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]452642[/snapback]</div>
    No, we don't all love bashing Toyota. There are two particular people on this thread who do.

20. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ May 31 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]452952[/snapback]</div>
    And they fixed the issues, did they not? As for the issues they're having with the iForce 5.7L V8, it may be that the issues took 2 months to materialize.

Meanwhile, the General is still having issues with their differentials. Why is it that over the course of 20 years General Motors has not fixed an issue like the one they've had with rear diffs, while Toyota is actively chasing down their problems?

You know, owning a Toyota never made me bitter towards GM. All the problems I've seen and dealt with in GM vehicles made me bitter towards GM.