1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Unveils Entune, App-Ready Sync Fighter, At CES

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This new Entune system is pretty much exactly what we've been expecting to come from Toyota since the teaser campaign for the Prius v began. We'll take a deeper look at the system soon, but expect to see it on the all-new Prius v when it is revealed next Monday. The system uses your cell phone data plan to work, so let's hope that you have an unlimited plan that allows for Bluetooth tethering. Press release from Toyota: Toyota Announces Entune Multimedia System at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show LAS VEGAS, January 4, 2011 – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS) U.S.A., Inc. today unveiled the Toyota Entune™ multimedia system at the Consumer Electronics Show. Toyota Entune leverages the customer’s mobile phone to create a rich in-vehicle experience that offers fully integrated and upgradeable entertainment, navigation, and information services. By utilizing conversational voice recognition and in-vehicle controls, the driver doesn’t have to touch their mobile phone, allowing for safer connectivity. Toyota Entune simplifies the interaction for customers and will be available in select vehicles this year. “Consumers have grown accustomed to having the world at their fingertips through their mobile phones,” said Jon Bucci, vice president of the Advanced Technology Department at Toyota. “And unlike other industry solutions, Entune allows the driver to interact with informative and entertaining mobile content without fumbling with their phone. We offer features that our customers demand and integrate them seamlessly in the vehicle.” After downloading the Toyota Entune mobile application and pairing a Bluetooth capable phone with their Toyota vehicle, customers can begin accessing a wide variety of personalized content and services. Toyota Entune is wirelessly upgradeable, so in-vehicle applications are never obsolete. Ensuring that nearly all customers can take advantage of this new technology, Toyota Entune is compatible with a wide variety of mobile phones with a data plan. Toyota Entune key features include:
    Mobile Apps – Toyota Entune debuts Bing, keeping navigation continuously up to date with more than 16 million points of interest; OpenTable, make a reservation at one of 15,000 restaurants; and MovieTickets.com, buy movie tickets and read reviews. All destinations can be seamlessly sent to the navigation system. Making drivers’ lives even easier, Toyota Entune delivers customizable real time traffic, fuel prices, weather, stocks and sports.​

Music – Toyota Entune brings you more music in more ways with iheartradio’s 750+ hometown stations; personalized stations with Pandora; XM satellite radio 170+ channels with coast-to-coast coverage; and introducing HD Radio, digital broadcasts of your favorite terrestrial music. Toyota Entune also offers USB connectivity for portable media players and traditional terrestrial radio.​

Voice Recognition – Featuring a best-in-class, advanced conversational voice recognition system, Toyota Entune eliminates the need to memorize thousands of voice commands. The intuitive interface allows the driver to focus more on the road ahead.​
    “Toyota has always been a leader in the automotive industry, so it makes sense it would bring the latest in mobile technology to the car,” said Chris Daniels, general manager of Bing for Mobile, Microsoft Corp. “By bringing Bing Maps and Bing for Mobile technology to the car, we are helping Toyota enhance the overall in-vehicle experience to be as rich and robust as possible, which means personalizing the information to each driver’s needs.” Safety Connect Toyota Entune continues to build on the excellent foundation laid by Safety Connect, bringing peace of mind to drivers with an added layer of more personalized and convenience-oriented features. Safety Connect is the cornerstone of Toyota’s telematics systems providing Automatic Collision notification, Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, Emergency Assistance, and Roadside Assistance on select Toyota models. Safety Connect combined with Toyota Entune offers comprehensive safety services and mobile applications not found in any other vehicle make. Product Availability Toyota Entune will be available as an option on select models this year. The featured apps of Toyota Entune include: Bing, iheartradio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable.com, and Pandora, as well as location-based services, such as personalized traffic, fuel prices, stocks, weather, and sports. Toyota Entune also includes support for read-back and replay capabilities for text messages. These are combined with a fully featured entertainment and communication system, which includes XM radio, HD Radio, CD player, USB connectivity, Bluetooth streaming and phonebook. A high quality JBL sound system is available as an option as well.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nice!! i wish my Leaf would use my cellie provider... oh well. hoping for an app from android

3. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Toyota Announces Entune Multimedia System at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show

By the way, there are a couple of important contacts at the bottom of this announcement:​

Media Contact:
    [redacted]​

Toyota Contact:
    [redacted]​

I have had luck in the past submitting complaints to folks like this instead of through traditional customer service numbers and email addresses. They tend to forward your complaints up the ladder rather than through customer service processes and infrastructures. If anyone thinks that new multimedia systems should be released with upgrades available to current Toyota owners, or you have complaints about the current system, these folks might be able to get results.

Hope this gives you a better outlet the next time your NAV/audio system makes you see red.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Toyota Announces Entune Multimedia System at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show

We speculated whether the "I Heart Radio" shown in one of the previews was the only internet radio or what just happened to be on the screen. I'm very happy to see Pandora.
    [​IMG]

I hope I can access my personal stations. Currently, I stream Pandora to my computer, laptop and phone. The car would be a logical evolution.

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  7. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

skilbovia,

Can I ask that you please NOT send your emails via the above method? It may feel better to "go around" the customer service support system, and feel like you have better "access" to people who make decisions you're after, but it really isn't better. We are actually required by some laws to route consumer product concerns through our call center, which has the tools to track and document them. So if you sent something to me with a product complaint, that's where it would go. It's not because I don't like you, it's because I'm complying with the law and our corporate procedures.

It also just creates more work for the recipient, if that's something you care about. For example, I know Greg and he is working furiously on having a great presentation and release for the Prius announcement at Detroit next week - something I think all Prius people are interested in. I just don't think it's helpful to add to his burden right now. And BTW, even if Greg dropped everything to help you, I can flat out say he would have zero ability to support your request for product changes.

I don't mean to attack you directly at all, but you articulated a method that others have used as well, so I thought I might just notify everyone what happens with these types of requests.

Sorry you're upset, so I'll thank you in advance for your understanding. Fire away if you have questions.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

4 people like this.
  8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  9. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

So, Mr. Coleman, now that you've entered the fray: will the new nav software be backward compatible or require new hardware?

10. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Doug:

First, I'll respect your wishes and not send emails directly to the people listed in the email.

That said, when I read the posts relating to how dissatisfied the folks in this newsgroup are with the Navigation/ Audio system and how little is shared about solutions, fixes, resolutions, etc, it makes me tend to think that complaints to customer service via the normal routes just aren't getting anywhere, And in general when I get stonewalled by any company that takes my hard earned money and doesn't treat me just a little bit special, well, I tend to take it seriously, especially when next to my house, my car is the most expensive thing I will ever buy. Maybe my expectations are higher than most as I spent the vast portion of my entire career in sales for a very large test and measurement company, working with customers that spent thousands if not millions on equipment and guess who heard about it and had to make it right if they didn't particularly like how my company treated them. And by the way, I used to get yelled at by my customer service group for going around them as well, but I did it if I thought it was in the best interest of my customer so this is nothing new.

But enough about me. Doug, YOU have a problem with each and every person that buys (and pays a ton of money for) a Prius with a NAV/JBL audio system. And I'm one of them who was totally pleased with his Ford Escape with the Ford Sync System until it started leaving puddles of transmission fluid on my garage floor. So I bought a Prius for mileage and reliability. It's my third Toyota in the last 10 years (other vehicle: 03 Solara SLEV6 replaced by 06 Sienna XLE) so I'm a loyal customer. I expected an audio system in my Prius that would at least let me find and play an album of my choice from a memory storage device by saying it's name. After my experience with Ford Sync I can't tell you how disappointed I was with Toyota's top end audio system. I'm so disappointed that next time around Toyota won't be a slam dunk. Yes, it's that bad. Incidentally, my wife is very excited about everything she has heard about the new Prius v as a replacement for her Sienna. I'm saying "not so fast" because of this issue.

So here's what I want:

I want the audio system user interface fixed and I want an upgrade to be made available to everyone that spent a fortune on the NAV/Audio package free of charge. If you need help with the feature set, there's lots of us here to help you.

I want the navigation system fixed so that updates reach us faster and less expensively. I'd say quarterly updates for $25 per disc might get me to buy one but at $200 for a yearly upgrade, forget it. Incidentally, if I were you, I would be embarrassed about charging $200 for this yearly upgrade. I also want performance to be at least as good as portable units from the likes of Garmin that are much much less expensive.

I want the range of static free FM increased so that it meets the expectations of the folks in this group who have owned other cars and were very disappointed with this system's FM performance. There's a ton of complaints about that too. And I want it upgraded for free.

I want this to be taken seriously enough for you as Prius Product Manager to develop a plan for how you are going to resolve these issues and report your progress to us on a quarterly basis.

Doug, I don't dislike you either and I hope you are not offended by my being so direct. Please let me/us know how you plan to handle these issues.

Regards,

Skilbovia

11. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I would just be excited about this system if I could:

(1) install it in my 2010 Prius as a bolt-in exchange for my crap nav system that I paid $2k for, and
    (2) if the Entune system could use Google Maps to provide turn-by-turn navigation through the system. Toyota's system is horrible at turn-by-turn, any "incomplete" area is avoided and the navigation suffers tremendously, not to mention the horrible driving lockout that prevents us from putting in a destination while moving.

Vic

1 person likes this.
  12. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

**sound of crickets**

I guess we've got our answer.

13. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

No. This is totally new hardware- much of it from the ground up. It would be like you asking Apple to upgrade your iPod to an iPhone. But I have to ask, honestly, is it reasonable for a consumer to ask a company to accommodate such an upgrade?

Thanks for your understanding on the emails. I get your frustration... and I'm sorry to hear about it. I do hope you have registered your issue with our call center. What happens is those complaints do get aggregated and analyzed... not by the call center people themselves... but by our technical quality people.

There's two types of complaints you have... one type is that your product does not work as promised/expected (i.e., it's broken or not working, like the FM radio). This is a quality complaint that I will honestly tell you, based on our structure, I do not handle. The formerly referenced technical quality people do. So this will likely sound hollow to you, but trust me these types of issues are being analyzed inside and out. I wish I could tell you how it's going to come out, but I can't, because I simply don't have access to that.

The second type is one that is about not being competitive with an offering (like the voice control of songs and the navigation interface). In your opinion, our system does not stack up like the competitors. I am much closer to those types of issues, and I will honestly say, you're absolutely right. Our offerings in audio the past several years have been lagging. That's what we intend to fix with the new audio systems with Entune - it is a vastly superior feature set relative to our past systems. My question is, if the system was uncompetitive in your eyes, and so important to you, why did you buy it?

I really wish I had more power to just wave a magic wand and solve your complaints with the vehicle, but I don't. I'm sorry about that. Really, at most I can just describe to you how we do things and how we try to help you. At the end of the day, if you feel we haven't delivered on the customer experience you deserve, we'll lose you as a customer. Shame on us.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

2 people like this.
  14. docsnavely

docsnavely Insert Custom Title Here

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III

I can answer that one. Because the vehicle features were more important in the decision than the Nav unit. I wanted the roof and took the Navigation thinking (apparently falsely) that Toyota would make good on the lack of usable features of the nav by pushing out a decent update once they figured out the issues people were complaining about.

Honestly, how hard would it be for you guys to push a disc to us with the most requested programming changes? The hardware is usable depending on the software given. The problem is that the software is the exact same framework that I had in my 2004 Sienta when I was in Japan with pretty much no changes since (and actually some features removed from the Japanese version I owned in 2004).

15. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

"My question is, if the system was uncompetitive in your eyes, and so important to you, why did you buy it?"

Because I made a rash assumption based on what I know about Toyota quality that if I spent lots of money on an Integrated Nav/Audio system, I was going to start playing with it and be pleasntly surprised. No, I didn't walk into the local Toyota Dealership with a USB flash drive, plug it in and test it out. I didn't think I had to based on my Toyota experience and my experience with Ford Sync. I saw the USB slot and assumed that there was a reasonable user interface behind it. My bad. I didn't drive to my house to see if the Nav system got my house's address correct, which it didn't. I assumed that Toyota quality and reliability.... Shame on me. In short, I didn't think I had to take the car home for half a day to try out every feature. But I should have and will next time. Fool me once.... BTW I love everything else about the ATP package, except for the crappy audio/Nav system.

"That's what we intend to fix with the new audio systems with Entune - it is a vastly superior feature set relative to our past systems."

What this says to me is that you are more interested in getting new customers than you are about keeping current ones. Lots of companies have continuation engineering groups that do just that: modify and upgrade systems and capabilities to keep current customers happy. When Entune was being designed there was obviously no one in the meetings saying "wait a minute, what are we going to do for all the ticked off customers that are stuck with the current system?" This is just software, Doug, and i don't think anyone is expecting Toyota to retrofit the entire system to Entune, But I do expect Toyota to upgrade the current Nav system with better location capability, upgrade the audio system with better search capability, better utilize the voice capability, and come up with a few db of gain in the FM signal path to allow the FM radio to perform as well as their competitors for free.

"At the end of the day, if you feel we haven't delivered on the customer experience you deserve, we'll lose you as a customer. Shame on us."

I have $70,000 worth of Toyota equipment in my garage and you're telling me you don't give a crap if you lose me as a customer? I think I've just been flipped off.

1 person likes this.
  16. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

You're probably right that lots of companies have continuation engineering groups. I suspect we do have one, but I honestly don't know. But that aside, I'm not sure how you draw the conclusion that, because we found our product to be uncompetitive, and we developed a whole new system that is, that we don't want to keep our current customers. I'm not understanding the logical leap there.

:confused: No, I didn't say I don't give a crap. Quite the opposite, I said it's a shame when we lose customers because we didn't live up their expectations. And I personally can't stand it when a customer has a problem with their vehicle - especially their Prius - because I want everyone to have a great experience. It does get to me (and the rest of the company).

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  17. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I have absolutely no idea how hard it would be. I'm in marketing, not the audio engineering division. Honestly, I just don't know.

In my experience, though, generally people who are not familiar with a certain system's development challenges (be it an audio system or a whole car) tend to over-estimate the ease of implementing something new. It seems easy on the outside. I fall into this trap all the time when asking our engineering people different questions about what can and can't be done. I'm continually amazed at the constraints (be they technical, time, or cost) that simply result in a negative answer.

That's a long way of saying it is probably not as easy as you think - it may not be even possible with just a software update - but again, I don't really know.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  18. docsnavely

docsnavely Insert Custom Title Here

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III

I appreciate this back and forth. It's not often that you get a manager of one of the largest international corporations fielding questions and supplying answers directly. With that being said, I read this:

and then your signature:

I would think that of anyone we have access to here on these forums, you would be the man that could find out if he didn't know.

Again, I do appreciate you being here and helping us. I don't mean to come off as inflammatory. I'm just frustrated for spending over $2000 more than others for something that is less useful than my $200 iphone, a $20 windshield mount, and a $40 nav app.

19. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I'm extremely excited by the new Entune, but like everyone else, I'm not jumping for joy, Toyota has really dropped the ball on Navigation and Radio quality, the sound inside the Prius was a big let down from my past vehicles, and thats with JBL. Even now, many competitors still have better sound and systems.

The navigation, while not being the best, is ok, but Toyota really really needs to rethink their stupid $200 disc to upgrade navigation, that is beyond ridiculous, considering the inital $2000 to get it, and its many drawbacks, I would not feel so bad if it was a more responsible and realistic $25 or $50 upgrade, but $200 is wrong.

20. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I personally don't have any problems with the audio -- and I believe the audio quality from internet-based radio will probably be a let-down -- but my biggest peeve with my current nav system is the navigation. I know that many users have no bad problems with it, other than the driving lockout, but the stupid "incomplete" areas really get under my skin. The last OEM nav unit that we have was Honda, and it has the same problem, but at least you could enable navigation through the unverified areas. The Toyota system does not give the option, and goes many miles out of the way because of this. I mean, just check my map of coverage to see the scope of the problem (white areas are not complete):
    [​IMG]

If the Entune system will enable a better, cell-phone based nav system (Google Maps or a Garmin app) then it would be a quantum leap in improvement. As it is, my brand new 2010 Nav has me and my wife contemplating removal of these expensive systems. It was a big waste of money when I could have installed a much better aftermarket system for less.

But back on topic.... Entune looks very promising. If the price is right I'd be interested in seeing if it could replace my current system. Waiting on some real-life reviews.

Victor