1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota voiding warranty for changing wheels/tires!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AF-Vette, Aug 16, 2009.

1. AF-Vette

AF-Vette New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please help me out here. I purchased 4 Enkei RS-M (17x7.5) wheels, 215/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, and 315 Mhz TPS from the Tire Rack three days ago for my 2010 Toyota Prius IV. This is the same size wheel and tire combination that is available on the Prius V from the factory. However, the dealer told me that I MUST have their service department install the new wheels/tires (and pay them $60 to do it) because if I installed them on the vehicle myself, THE WARRANTY WOULD BE VOIDED. I do not think Toyota can void my warranty because I install aftermarket wheels/tires, but I need to get advice y'all. What is their real issue? Are they trying to scam me for $60 just to change tires? :mad:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's a scam. Print out a copy of the Magnuson-Moss act, and ask them to write down on paper that they'll void your warranty if you change the rims/tires elsewhere. Guarrantee they'll NEVER write it down b/c it's patently illegal.

3. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did they elaborate on what part of the warranty? TPS ? Why ? I agree that nondealer wheel/tire replacement could not possibly void warranty but the TPS might be an issue...:confused:

4. grahamy

grahamy New Member

Model:
    III
    Since a significant section of the manual is devoted to do-it-yourself maintenance nobody can argue that all work must be done by a dealer. I suppose if you install the wheels yourself inside out or failed to tighten the bolts, you'd lose benefit of the warranty for damage that resulted. That's it.

5. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is their real issue? They want to steal money from you for nothing! Take your business elsewhere! Dealer is trying to screw you over!

6. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You have NEW TPS valves? If so, the dealer is right, you need them to install them, the TPS valves need to be configured for the vehicle, they are wrong about voiding your warranty, but they need to do the install or you need to go in to have the TPS configured, either way I bet its still $60.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't plan on even using the TPMS on my snow tires. I don't see any warranty issue.

8. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    EJFB1029, I stand corrected. There is a very good chance that the TPMS is not paired with your car.
    I thought "AF-Vette" meant that installing aftermarket wheels/tires would void the warranty. Just see if the "TPMS light" comes on if not, you should be good to go.:rockon:

9. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you folks think Toyota would void a warranty relating to a suspension component due to the fact the owner changed the tires/rims to a size other than OEM?

10. mainliner

mainliner New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If any component fails on your vehicle and it is deemed by toyota to have been caused by modification of the original wheel size on your vehicle, it can void the warranty for those components.

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is the critical statement. Well stated.

The warranty would be voided, if at all, only as regards repair to a problem that Toyota has determined was caused by, exacerbated by or at least somewhat related to, an act of the owner. If the new wheels are installed and then two years later the battery goes bad, Toyota would have to show the battery failure had some link (in causality) to the new wheels or their installation. Otherwise, the warranty could not be voided.

1 person likes this.
  12. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dealers normally charge around 50 or 60 to reprogram the TPMS to your new sensors, assuming you are getting new sensors and not using the old ones. To me, it is worth having this done.
    Also, how do you like your new setup? I am getting those exact same tires and similar Enkei wheels. Would love to hear your feedback.

13. grahamy

grahamy New Member

Model:
    III
    That would apply whether the dealer or anyone else did the mod.

14. AF-Vette

AF-Vette New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are fantastic tires! They have MUCH better traction and control (the car doesn't feel like I'm driving Jello) than the originals. The ride quality is a little firmer, but I don't think there is any change in road noise. While this won't make the car an autocross demon, The Enkei wheels look great (see attached jpg) and it does make the Prius a lot more fun to drive.

As far as the new sensors are concerned, I drove around for about 10 mi this afternoon and there was no TPMS warning light, so I might not have to do anything. If the warning light comes on later, I suppose I will bite the bullet and have the dealer do the reprogram. Changing tires shouldn't be this difficult...

Attached Files:

15. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why do you go back to the same dealer who gave you trouble. If you are going to give someone money, at least go to someone who deserves it

16. AF-Vette

AF-Vette New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are reading my mind. I plan to go to Merchants Tire outlet, or a different Toyota dealer. The Merchants outlets are Tire Rack "authorized Installers" and I discovered they have the same TPMS computer as the dealer.

17. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Which of the 3 tires was your IV delivered with? My Bridgestone don't feel like Jello and handle very well (I forget how tiny the Prius 15s are until I look at them on another vehicle in traffic :eek:). Is it the brand, inflation leval or...

I was one of the few people on the planet that upped my tires one size on my 03 Avalon tires since the originals handled corners, turn and rain so poorly. The dealership actually suggested it at the time and called in the order to the tire store.

Back to the P; was happy mine came with Bridgestone since the Duellers I have on my CRV are the best tires I have ever owned. 22,000 miles and only had to put air in them twice (and like the feature that alerts me on the dask when they need it). Guess time will tell how low maint the P tires are. Enjoy your new tires!

18. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am planning to purchase a second set of wheels and mount winter tires without a second set of TPMS sensors. As long as I buy 15 inch wheels with the correct bolt pattern and offset, I have no warranty concerns. If there is a component failure, Toyota would have to show but for the change in tires and wheels, this failure would not have. I will have an opportunity to show the change I installed had no effect on the failing component. If the TMPS failed (I don't know what this would look like), I would remount the original tires & wheels with the factory sensors to troubleshoot the TMPS system.

I want to believe Toyota built a better car than one that would suffer any failure just because I put winter tires on. I could have winter tires on the car for five to six months each year, maybe I'll decide the approximately $240 for a second set of sensors plus $120 annually for two sensor programming fees is worth it. Right now, I plan to run winter tires without TPMS sensors and continue checking my tire pressure at least once a month. --TK

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What efusco said is correct. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that protects consumers from such tactics. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer, if Toyota were to claim that using an after market wheel on your vehicle caused problems they would have to prove it actually did so.

Ask the dealer to put his assertion in writing and if he is foolish enough to do so send it to your state's Attorney General.

20. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's B.S. I'd find another dealer for service work--if they tried to hose you on something as simple as this, imagine what they'll try next.