1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota VP makes bet.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ruaqt, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ruaqt

ruaqt Junior Member

I really don't see how Toyota can beat Tesla to Li-Ion powered car. Looks like this guy lost $100.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...amp;refer=japan

2. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ruaqt @ Aug 13 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]495220[/snapback]</div>
    Yet, Tesla just fired (promoted) their CEO. They may put a few models in the hands of some celebrities and give them flame retardant suits, but does that count?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shows you how much confidence he has in GM's words about Li-Ion batteries.

I mean.. GM said that battery technology isn't there right?

Tesla... they're still testing. The first ones won't reach customers til next year right?

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A123 is already putting their Hymotion LiIon batteries in Prii to make them plug in.

5. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nissan had the Lithium-ion Altra EV on the roads years ago.

Come to think of it, the Japan-market Toyota Vitz stop-start micro-hybrid already uses LiIon and is on the roads today. Perhaps that's how he sees his money as being safe?

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Not alot has been said about the Altra...any history Clett? And nothing in the Who Killed the Electric Car movie. Were they crushed too? Are there still some running? Any other info on this electric wagon? Seems to me a great concept, but, again, ahead of it's time.

I know it's not a money maker and that's why it is not well known, but, gees, companies come up with great ideas/products all the time and want to promote them right...right?? I wonder sometimes whether the human species deserves to continue it's existence when so many stupid things are credited to us...

7. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 13 2007, 10:33 PM) [snapback]495245[/snapback]</div>
    But not in the hands of consumers. So how can they be first when they have not sold to any end users? ;)

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Aug 14 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]495439[/snapback]</div>
    True, they are only being installed in company fleet vehicles at present. I saw an install for a SDG&E Prius a few weeks ago.

A123 systems stated at that time that they would be offering the plug in starting the first fiscal quarter of 2008 if all went well. If Toyota were smart, they'd be teaming with A123. They could still work on developing their own whatever.