1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota web site inventory changing all the time

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tomcornell, Aug 31, 2007.

1. tomcornell

tomcornell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have been looking for the last week at the exact same VIN on the Toyota web site that has exactly what I need and shows as in-stock at the nearest dealership. I didn't record the "available" date listed, but I do recall that it kept advancing so that it was always showing available just a couple days into the future each time I checked it. Strange.

Now today I am ready to buy, but I can not find it on the web site, even though I suspect it is an unpopular package so I doubt it would have been snatched up.

Is the Toyota.com inventory report or "available" date to be trusted? Is it wise to ask the dealer for a specific VIN as reported on toyota.com inventory? Or does that give away too much of my bargaining power?

Thank you for any advice you can give this prospective Prius owner.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jun 21 2007, 05:31 AM) [snapback]465654[/snapback]</div>
    My gut feeling is that you give up no bargaining power by asking for a specific VIN number. Quite the contrary: It shows that you know what you want, and that you know which car has it. It shows you to be a knowledgeable buyer who is capable of doing research, and who has done research. Next step: find out (perhaps from Consumer Reports) what the dealer's cost is for the car. Then find out (from recent Prius buyers in your area, here on PC) whether people are paying MSRP these days or getting discounts. Lastly, decide what you are willing to pay.

Actual bargaining is a matter of style. I'm not good at it, so my advice is probably not good on this point, but armed with the above information, you might tell the dealer: I'll give you X for the car. That's all I'll give. Yes or no? Be prepared to walk away and resume your search if he says no. Alternatively, you make a low offer, or ask his price, and then haggle. Like I said, I'm not good at that. But the bottom line is: Know what you're willing to pay and walk away if the dealer asks for more.

Oh, and extremely important: Make it clear to the dealer that you're offering, or asking about the price out the door, after all fees are added. Otherwise you could end up being surprised: I've read here on PC that Florida dealers add on an exorbitant "document fee." And some dealers stick you with unwanted add-ons. Negotiating for the price out the door assures that you are paying what you intended to pay.

I got mine in January of 2004. I knew that everyone had to pay MSRP, so I didn't have to haggle. When I got my Xebra I wanted it so badly, and the dealer knew it, that I had no position to haggle, so again I paid MSRP. Also, the dealer was going to make some improvements that no other dealer would do. I had to buy from him, so I paid what he asked. But in the case of the Prius, you have a lot of dealers to choose from.

Good luck.

3. tomcornell

tomcornell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Aug 31 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]504858[/snapback]</div>
    My local fleet manager handed my fax off to a floor salesman who merely faxed me back a "wow! the Prius is such a great car you should bring lots of cash!!!!" so his fax was promptly deposited in the circular file.

The dealer near my work actually faxed me back the invoice for a car that is a "dealer trade in with 120 miles" on it, so I guess they swapped with another dealer to acquire this one. At 4-5 miles per test drive, this tells me that this Prius has been on about 20-30 test drives with no sale yet, so I have that going for me. Which is nice. :)

I'll see what I can do here and report back with my results.

Thanks!