1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Webcast 3/8/10 (today) 1 p.m. EST to debunk Gilbert's throttle claims

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Mar 8, 2010.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota Webcast Hopes To Disprove Critic David Gilbert, Who Blames Electronics For Acceleration

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to try to undercut suggestions that its electronics systems caused the sudden acceleration problems that led to the recall of more than 8 million vehicles.

The automaker will host a Webcast event Monday at 1 p.m. EST during which it will seek to debunk a critic who claims faulty gas pedals did not cause the sudden acceleration.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2 people like this.
  3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Very good read. Section 2.2 is particularly hilarious!

4. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Watching live stream now....cool! Exponent folks finally presenting their findings.

This session is an engineer's wet dream to get live broadcast to the media on what they do and how they think...Vulcan-style. ;)

5. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Looks like ABC's gonna get a blackeye after this.

COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS RAISES CONCERNS ABOUT GILBERT CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY, ABC NEWS SEGMENT

6. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  7. halfmoonray

halfmoonray New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    gilbert is a quack....whatever the intent of this hoax was --to boost US auto companies-- will have the opposite effect with a vengeance

sad but greed is the american way

8. halfmoonray

halfmoonray New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    if anybody finds a link to the toyota webcast please provide link

9. Immuggleborn

Immuggleborn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's now at toyota.com

1 person likes this.
  10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's too bad the "carquestions" guy got the whole deal
    wrong about "going to ground", and shot his own credibility in
    the foot. On the other hand, it's likely harder to find a source
    of +5V under the hood than it is a good ground point.
    _H*

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    2 people like this.
  12. halfmoonray

halfmoonray New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    watching the webcast...confirms what my own analysis of the gilbert report ...confirms that gilbert is a quack.... he would never get a job anywhere for his quackery..i hope it was worth it for gilbert to mislead congress and mislead the public

13. halfmoonray

halfmoonray New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yakuza may also have a contract

14. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

One interesting point highlight from this session is Exponent's investigation is still on-going and may continue for as long as Toyota needs to address not just about unforeseen technical issue, but partly to address questions or alarmist news headlines that public had been getting all-so continuously since early Feb.

I am pretty sure Exponent maybe asked to look into that "runaway" Prius on the very day when they were publicly demolishing Dr.Gilbert's testimony.

hmmm...sounds like a on-going hit-&-run guerrilla warfare here.

15. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What I would like to know in the course of this continuing evaluation of both Gilbert's and Toyota's simulations is whether any other systems are compromised on the Prius:

1. Does Brake Override interrupt the simulated acceleration?
    2. Does Brake Assist function normally to produce emergency brake application when properly applied?
    3. Does Neutral (or Reverse) still function to break the engine acceleration?
    4. Does the 'P' Park button still function to break the engine acceleration?
    5. Does the 'Power' button still function by pushing and holding for over three seconds and 'stopping' the car functions including breaking the engine acceleration?

I am guessing at this point that none of these five functions above fail to not work properly when either Gilbert's or Toyota's simulation is made.

Knowing that these five factors still function properly is _critical_ imho to the proper resolution of the overriding problem--stopping the car. People have not been hurt and property was not damaged because of the unscheduled acceleration. People were killed and property was damaged because of driver error in applying immediate and proper corrective action. (If this happens in your garage or a parking lot you won't have time to prevent minor damage--that's not the point.)

I would like to think that in the course of every one of these unscheduled simulations on Toyota's and on the other car manufacturers cars tested that it is either a given that the simulation doesn't affect the five corrective actions/reactions I list above or else that each one was tested to verify if they worked or not?

As far as I'm concerned the unscheduled acceleration remains only half of the problem. The other half is the knowledge and skill the driver immediately takes to stop the car safely under any situation. That is going to present all sorts of problems if the auto industry (not just Toyota) and the NHTSA really want to bring down vehicle and pedestrian injury, deaths, and litigation. Just like a bar being held liable for letting a drunk drive off and kill someone, shouldn't car rental agencies be held liable for renting a car to someone who doesn't _really_ know how to operate that particular model? And what would consitute good enough training on a new car? _All you have to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time_. It happens 24x7.

If you panic in an emergency situation can you still sue a car manufacturer for making their car to complicated to operate safely?

16. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

So far, notice Toyota has never place a single hint/innuendo/blame on possible "driver error" (aka their customers).

I guess this policy serve them pretty well. ;)

The next step is to enhance & standardize the EDR, which, IMO, should do most of the talking & answering in any future incidents.

17. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No doubt. I'd be very careful too. Maybe the hint/innuendo/blame on possible "driver error" can come from outside of the car manufacturers...say from the NHTSA?

What is the EDR?