1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota won’t be opening a green Prius sub-brand

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    """The UK managing director of Toyota, Miguel Fonseca, has told Autocar that it won’t be opening a green Prius sub-brand. But he did establish that a series of fresh Prius body styles are forthcoming, designed to support Toyota’s third-generation hybrid saloon when it goes on sale late in 2009. Although Fonseca will not provide confirmation for the body styles that can be expected, but Autocar comprehends that an estate variant is possible and that a hybrid MPV (multipurpose vehicle) is most likely.

The stock variant of the succeeding Prius is scheduled to make its introduction at the Detroit motor show early next year, before becoming available for sale towards the last part of 2009. There won’t be any revelation of new body styles until late 2010 at the earliest. Talks about the succeeding Prius would adopt lithium-ion battery technology at some stage of its lifespan was overturned by Fonseca. Although he recognized that powerful, efficient lithium-ion batteries were a direction of the future, the engineers of Toyota do not believe they are currently efficient or durable enough to enter mass-production.

Toyota won?t be opening a green Prius sub-brand - AutoSpies Auto News

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Until next week when the rumor switches back again.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do hope that one of the alternate body styles will be a small pickup.

It would make my DH so happy! :D

4. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If gasoline gets back up to $4.00/gallon sometime, I expect to see Toyota reconsider this decision at that time. I think the reason behind the current decision is for two reasons: Toyota's success compared to GM has been widely attributed to the fact that they only have three brands (Toyota, Lexus, Scion) and GM has numerous brands (competing against themselves). The second reason is that Toyota announced earlier this month that they plan to eventually offer all Toyota models in a hybrid form. With that goal, it would make sense (for marketing and reputation purposes) to keep the Prius within the Toyota name/family, instead of creating a separate brand, like Scion.

5. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That makes complete sense. Keep the number of brands limited to the current 3.

The "Prius" vehicle should always just be their most effienct vehicle. All of the models will have a "hybrid" option, but they should use the "Prius" model to be pushing the limit.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Help me translate British English - the 'estate variant' is a station wagon, right? And MPV is a multi-person vehicle, like a small minivan?

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MPV is a multi purpose vehicle here. That is a vehicle which may carry a family of 7 around one day but by folding seats it can carry building material etc.
    Yes an estate is a station wagon.

In the UK what you refer to as a minivan is a big vehicle. Only the USA use belittling names for practical cars but add the word sport to the name of useless vehicles like a utility with massive wheels, bad handling and leather seats.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think the UK managing director of Toyota really adds any weight to the rumor either way because the Prius brand was always going to be a North America (possibly US) exclusive thing.

I'm still in the camp that thinks TMS USA is going to have a Prius brand.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From a competitve standpoint I would welcome a prius brand of Toyota motor corp. It would water-down the research & development, marketing and production controls of the Toyota brand and cannibalize some sales from the other three toyota brands.

10. jprates

jprates https://ecomove.pt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally I can reveal what I had learned from Toyota Caetano (Portuguese importer), since Miguel has already made it public: The next Prius will have different ICE displacement sizes for Europe and USA.

It makes sense to me. We don't need and we are not used to having cars with so much muscle as you fellow Americans are. We need and we are used to small (1000cc to 1600cc) gasoline cars. The Prius with its 1500cc engine and HSD MGs is more than adequate.

Worst than that, most European countries tax cars either by engine size or by horsepower. Even with an environment bonus tax and hybrid bonus tax, a 1800cc Prius would be even harder to sell. Not to mention that it would loose to diesels easier than now.

I'm still amazed to read once again what I've been told earlier: the new 2010 Prius will make around 3 litres per 100 km (90 imperial MPG). AMAZING! UNBELIEVABLE! A car with that size, with that power... wau... diesels... eat my dust... :D

GO TOYOTA GO GO GO!!!

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Put in other words: "I wish Toyota would be like GM branding ... watered-down R&D, poor marketing & Production controls ..." Seems like backwards thinking. What, GM can't kill off some of its bloated/redundant lines to be more like toyota?

12. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. Thanks for the input.

13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Re: Toyota won’t be opening a green Prius sub-brand

Just to exit trading barbs for a second. How could GM (or any other Car Manufacturer selling in the US) do this? With dealers being seperate business entities, this looks to be something that should not be something that GM is responsible for solving....although it needs solving.

14. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's actually quite simple (starting with the Prius that we already have, of course). The current regenerative braking system captures what, 20% compared to threshold braking? If the quantity is increased, energy recapture is increased. Several "concept" hybrids from other manufacturers (such as Volvo) have revealed this opportunity. Toyota could begin by adding a second winding to the regen and make them operate progressively (the second winding is not employed unless needed). Instead of focusing on plug-ins, Toyota should be focusing on increasing regen up to 90%. Then, after that is accomplished, then add plugs, when energy consumption has already been significantly decreased.

Can any of you say that you never use your disc brakes? If I took the disc brakes off of you car, would you be able to stop? Now, what if regen did 90% of your braking? You would only need TWO small disc brakes for panic stops. You would regen so much electricity, it would challenge today's plug-ins. At least, that's my theory. :)

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would make little difference, I hardly ever brake.

16. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then I take it that you are getting 150mpg, then? :confused:

I watch up the road and time stop lights and I try to conserve as much momentum as possible and not waste energy, but no matter how good a job I do, I still find myself using my brakes.
    Sometimes a light turns red in front of you, unexpectedly and you have no other option but to stop. We all use our brakes. I suppose if you live on a farm, 100 miles away from town, and you can drive 95 of those miles without encountering a single stop light or stop sign, you could perhaps make the statement that you just did. Is that your situation? I suppose that if you were an (((EXTREME))) hypermiler that never went over 10mph, you could also make that statement. The problem with your perspective is that for the 99% of society that Toyota is selling Prius cars to, that is just not a reality.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Missing from this discussion are the fruits of a three year, cost cutting effort at Toyota. They have applied their considerable talent at standardizing parts and componets so they can span more product lines and be more affordable. For example, the October review Ken@Japan posted shows a sketch of the next generation transaxle, which in cross section looks to be about half the size of the current NHW20. They have also unified many of their control computers by cutting the number to less than half for all models.

As the fruits of these efforts roll into the assembly lines, the prices can remain the same and the profit rate slowly increase. This profitability means head-to-head competition with their honorable competition puts Toyota at a long-term advantage. To make profits, their competition has to raise prices and Toyota just holds theirs constant for more market share and fiscal strength.

In the hybrid area, Toyota is on the verge of releasing their next generation hybrid electric. The first generation, NHW10, proved it would work. The second and third generations including the NHW11, NHW20, Camry, Highlander and Lexus models, explored advanced elements. Each had unique capabilities and characteristics in quantities large enough to gather valuable 'lessons learned.'

The next generation Prius and other hybrid models, will soon harvest these 'lessons learned' and a quantitative performance step up. Things like improved and rapid warm-up, control law refinements, engines without throttles, improved NiMH batteries, control electronics, suspension and rolling drag reductions will complete the story. Thanks to their cost saving efforts (cost cutting is laying off resources, cost saving is using existing resources better,) Toyota will remain financially viable.

The real coup will be when Toyota begins fitting hybrid drive systems into the existing vehicle models. For a modest loss of space and weight, selling vehicles that get 30-50% better mileage than their competition in times of higher fuel prices will decimate their competition.

What about Honda? It is hard to tell. Their technical approach to hybrids has been to optimize their gas engines ... to bring them into diesel efficiency range without diesel weight and drawbacks.

As for changing battery chemistry from NiMH, it detracts from the seeing the whole system. I'm not impressed with LiON as being the magic bullet when the other vehicle systems are left to hit-or-miss optimization. For example, suspension changes.

We know higher pressure tires have better grip and lower rolling drag. But higher pressure tires need a softer shock absorber to insulate the cabin from road surface induced vibration and noise. But there is no evidence of wide-spread adoption of this approach. Even now, vehicles are sold with 'fat tires' ... pure nonsense. Worse, it looks like there is an active program to keep after-market tire rolling resistance a secret from owners.

So I see a slow, incremental progress in Toyota that eventually expands hybrids into every vehicle model as an option. This makes the most sense because it maximizes the use of standard parts that can be assembled into mission specific body styles. It may seem boring until you pay the fuel bill.

Bob Wilson

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Slow down and back off.
    My "mileage" is there and plain to see at the bottom of every one of my posts.

My daily commute,
    http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&saddr=Equestrian+Dr&daddr=-35.092103,138.562832+to:Bishops+Hill+Rd+to:Main+South+Rd+to:Fiveash+Dr+to:West+Tce+to:Main+North+Rd+to:Wright+Rd&hl=en&geocode=Ffxt6P0d-VRCCA%3B%3BFQS26P0dxFBCCA%3BFb8U6f0dpkBCCA%3BFSbo6f0dJrdCCA%3BFcL_6v0dtq5CCA%3BFVB67P0d1gZDCA%3BFbpv7P0dglVDCA&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5,6&sll=-35.082972,138.577251&sspn=0.079368,0.131836&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.965311,138.535538&spn=0.317929,0.527344&z=11
    I find going nearer the heart of the city reaps better consumption.

My brakes are showing little wear after 100,000+ kilometres.

I don't see any advantage in a separate hybrid brand. I know we accuse GM of green wash but Toyota also bask in the green light. A separate brand would dilute the light on the Toyota brand which currently shines bright.

19. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the problem with your perspective Rybold is that you are far too serious to be taken seriously :rolleyes: Did you miss the irony in the post or did you take this literally ?

Lighten up, relax and move on

20. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Beat me by mere seconds Patsparks ! Glad I got your perspective right.