1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's '06 Hybrid US Delivery Schedule

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by llewis, Dec 14, 2005.

1. llewis

llewis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have a handle on Toyota's schedule for delivery of their first 60,000 hybrids for the US? If they sell 60,000 in the first quarter, the full federal tax credit will last for the first two quarters (thru June 30, '06).

But, to my understanding, if they sell number 60,000 during the second quarter, the tax credit will last for another two quarters (thru 12/06). And on it goes, but it would sure be nice to know whether I have to buy my Prius in the first half of the year, or whether I have the entire year to round up the money.

Thanks, all...

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Your first paragraph is correct.
    Your second is incorrect.
    If the 60K threshold is reached in Q2, the phaseout will begin October 1, 2006.
    There is coverage of the Phase-out_of_the_hybrid_tax_credit in the Toyota_Prius_FAQ.

3. Springtime

Springtime Member

[But, to my understanding, if they sell number 60,000 during the second quarter, the tax credit will last for another two quarters (thru 12/06). And on it goes, but it would sure be nice to know whether I have to buy my Prius in the first half of the year, or whether I have the entire year to round up the money.

Remember, it is not the first 60,000 Prius 2006. It is all hybrids Toyota makes (i.e. Highlander) and would include any new Prius 2005's that get sold after 12/31/05. Based upon my local dealer trying to get me to buy a 2005 before the end of the year (sorry, not likely) there may be a bunch of new 2005's that get sold the first week of 2006.

I am sure Toyota will be watching those numbers very closely to extend the full rebate for as long as possible.

Springtime

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    *EDIT* Correction to an incorrect statement as a result of misinformation.

Not just the first 60,000 Prii, but all Toyota hybrids. Correct.

5. llewis

llewis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to Kiloran, Springtime, & Brandon for the almost immediate replies.

I do recognize that the 60,000 applies to all Toyota hybrids. Maybe my original posting wasn't sufficiently clear.

Kiloran, I went to the link and here is the quote that confused me.

"If the 60k threshold is reached in a later quarter, the 100% period will be longer for as many additional quarters as it took to meet that threshhold."

A literal reading of that says that, if they reach 60k in the second quarter, the 100% period is longer by two additional quarters. At least I think it does.

BUT, it you follow the link to the ASE.org site, it is more clear that only one additional quarter is added to the 100% period. i.e., if they sell number 60k in the second quarter, the 100% quarter expires on Sept 30, '06.

But to the primary question, how could one find a reliable indicator of when Toyota will sell its 60k-th hybrid in '06?

And thanks again for the replies!

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    why do you need a reliable indicator when you will still have the remainder of the quarter in which the 60Kth vehicle is sold plus the quarter after that? plan on it being the first week of april

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

"for as many additional quarters as it took to meet that threshhold"
    If it took 1 extra quarter to reach, the 100% period will be longer by 1 additional quarter.

I'm glad that the links provided enabled you to verify the correct answer.

I think anybody who is motivated by the credit should have no problem buying a Prius by June 30.
    As to whether Toyota will sell 60K hybrids in the first quarter, most estimates I've seen view this scenario as possible but not likely.
    If I were Toyota, I'd be working to make sure this threshold was achieved in the first month of a quarter to keep the incentive going longer. More incentive, more vehicles sold.;)

8. llewis

llewis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also hoping to hold out for the new metallic gray which debuts in May, but may not hit my dealer until July. If Toyota sells 60k hybrids in the first quarter, the 100% credit expires the end of June.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Considering that Toyota is not increasing Prius deliveries to the US, and the Hybrid Camry won't be available until Q3, I think it's safe to say they won't run over the limit in Q1. The only question is, will they run over in Q2 or will they stretch it out until Q3.

If they pass the threshold in Q2, then the full credit will be available until Sept 30, 2006

If they don't pass the threshold until Q3, then the full credit will be available for all of the 2006 calendar year.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looking at Toyota's US sales reports like the one at
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/12/01/153635.html should be able give you a feel for how many hybrids Toyota sells every month and when they might hit 60K. You can find others by doing a Google search for "Toyota _____ 2005 sales". Replace ____ with a month.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so Toyota is not increasing production for the 2006 Prius???

that is a bummer.

12. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I posted about it Here