1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's Lithium Ion Concept Car

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Areometer, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [​IMG]

A futuristic, one-seat concept car “I-Unit†of Toyota Motor Co., Ltd. revealed its appearance in Tokyo, Japan yesterday. The company explained that the car is operated by a lithium ion battery and in its low speed mode, it can move in between people. On the high-speed mode, the driver’s seat can be reclined, and the low center of gravity makes handling operations stable, a key characteristic of the car.

[​IMG]

> Lithium Ion Concept Car

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they have too much time on their hands for a few of the cars. They are cool and call.. but... not very practical. Even if they are.. they will never release them.

What they really need is a full size truck hybrid. As long as it's as powerful as a Ford or GM truck.. and gets better than 20mpg.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"55334)</div>
    I agree...I've read several of the 'reviews/ads' for the Silverado/Sienna "hybrids" and just come away thinking..."They missed the boat".

If they would have made those beasts into full hybrids getting 50% better fuel economy PLUS more torque, and more horsepower AND their AC outlet capacity was adequate for high drain use (which it currently is not) they would have had not only the Motor Trend Truck of the Year, but probably the best consumer truck ever built and a real tool for the construction workers and farmers who will really need and buy this kind of vehicle. Hell, even a $5000 premium with those kinds of numbers would've grabbed most buyers.

Instead they hope to sell based on the marketing hype created by Toyota and Honda while actually doing essentially nothing to help anyone.

4. DanH

DanH New Member

Actually I think such a strange vehicle could find a quite bit of use in the streets of Tokyo, Shanghai or Taipei. I have had people from work that have come back from Taipei tell of all the scooters running around there and bad air they create. This thing would be an upgrade from a scooter, but you could still pack 'em in on the road and have cleaner air to boot. (Also I gotta admit it does look right out of an anime, even the lady has anime hair. :) )

As for the truck thing goes, I'd have to think Toyota has a hybrid truck in the works just around the corner. They already have a larger motor ready with the Highlander, so it would be a relatively simple matter to drop that motor in a Tundra. I guess the one big issue also is where does one stuff the battery pack in a truck.

5. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanH\";p=\"55399)</div>
    I have ridden on the back of a moped/scooter in Taipei and feared for my life. :D

Small cars could be useful in Europe as well... I just can't tell if this is serious or not. When I first saw the pictures I thought it was a "The Onion" type thing.

6. DanH

DanH New Member

It's the real deal. (No Onion creation, that is.) I know I'd seen something about a similar concept drawing in a science magazine. Also snooping around on Toyota's Japan site I came by more infomation about this vehicle; http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/1203_1e.html If they ever do bring it to production it certainly would make a good option for a commuter vehicle in and around urban areas.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

[​IMG]

Oh no! The Mysterians have returned!

Summon Godzilla to rescue us!!!

8. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Is the hat compulsory???

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I think it's neurally linked to the driver.

Downside is that you can never take it off.

(Given your avatar, Victor, I think your cat can sympathize. :) )

10. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :mrgreen: does that costume come standard with it or with an optional package? :mrgreen:

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is ti just me or does the woman look almost scared? She seems to have that "I'm scared of this thing but I'm being paid to smile" expression.

For short trips, I'll take a Segway with saddle bags.

(No really, someone give me a Segway. Please?)

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

The Segway comes with saddle bags? Separately, or is there a whole Western motif that goes with it?

I'd love to see a remake of Red River, except with Segways instead of horses.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [img=left:240430f0af]http://shop.segway.com/images/shop/lower_cargo_sm.jpg[/IMG]I did a stint on a warehouse automation software project a couple years ago and I bet I walked ten miles every day doing circles around that place. The walking wasn't my biggest issue but the time it took to get from place to place. It didn't help that I was way back in Receiving and just about everything was on the other end of the building. Oh how I wanted a Segway. So I started looking at them just for kicks.

I like the idea of saddle bags for jaunts to the store or in the case of the warehouse, for folders of papers. Now I work in a multi-building campus. I would love to be able to keep Seggie in Priapus' hatch and ride around from meeting to meeting.

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, a 20 mpg truck does exist. I own one. 245 hp, 460 lb/ft of torque, and a 19,000 pound towing capacity. I've seen as high as 23.7 mpg out of my truck, doing nothing more than obeying the speed limit, and keeping to a maximum of 65 mph.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i know they exist.. i want toyota to release a hybrid truck.

my family owns trucks. F350's to be exact. both diesel. they achieve 12 - 18mpg. I should make some biodiesel for them. Only problem being, they would expect it for free from me. I would charge them. Less than normal diesel of course.

16. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota will have a hybrid version of the Tacoma and Tundra trucks, as they will have to, to keep their word on a hybrid option throughout the entire prodcut line. They are however, going to have to get the system re-engineered for a RWD drivetrain.

17. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found this while browsing around "How Stuff Works":
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/toyota-pm.htm

Looks like the same car, but the article mentions a 2003 auto show. I would be more inclined to ride around in something like this than the one shown above if only for the enclosed cabin.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow cool car... very cool. the link at howstuffworks.com is very imformative and as usual, when Toyota is concerned, there is a lot more than meets the eye when considering this car