1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's new ad campaign discussion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not a marketing person, but I think they are overreacting.

Just last week they had ads saying that over 90% of Toyota's sold in the last 20 years are still on the road.

What do you think?

2. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Both could be true, could they not?

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure. But my point is that this "we're sorry" attitude brings negative attention to them and seems overly emotional.

People buy Toyota's mostly because they are reliable. These ads are an emotional appeal to address a factual and practical concern and in my eyes make something worse.

It could just be me of course.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Better than the "problem? What problem?" attitude some car companies (unsuccessfully) *cough* Ford *cough* tried.

5. PriusPhile

PriusPhile New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am a sucker for nostalgia-- shows the brand is, indeed, part of American fabric. American factory worker shots help reinforce that idea today. The mea culpa bit is a little pandering. Hope these only run for a short while. Let's move on... Keep with "MOVING FORWARD"

Toyota's COMMITMENT COMMERCIAL:
    http://www.toyota.com/recall/videos/commitment-commercial.html

6. PriusPhile

PriusPhile New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Watch this commercial (again) and smile :)

1 person likes this.
  7. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't disagree more...I love the new "Commitment" commercial.

Whether Toyota actually messed up is beside the point...the perception is that they messed up, and *that* is what must be dealt with. The commercial says, in a not very heavy-handed way, that Toyota's been around a long time, had a superior reputation (in the USA) for a very long time, and messed up.

Everyone knows that companies mess up...it's how they handle it, that separates the good ones from the bad ones.

In typical Japanese style they're admitting their error, and asking for forgiveness...they're saving face. It's the honorable way to handle such a situation. The only thing missing is a shot of an executive falling, ritually, on his sword.

It's a very American commercial, showing a very Japanese concept. Tough to blend together...and quite effectively done.

I predict that this campaign will be a success, and that Toyota will rise like a phoenix.

Chuck

8. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    90% are still on the road ... the other 10% made it home.

Sorry -- that is THE traditional reply to Harley Davidson's similar claim in its advertisements.

9. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope it works to restore confidence the brand deserves. All the history of quality Toyota products should not be ignored and forgotten so quickly. The current media (print, tv, internet) atmosphere is awful. Quite frankly, the quirks with the brakes and cruise control are at most missed opportunities for TSBs that should have been issued as soon as Toyota heard about them...not just unannounced changes in the assembly line.
    I noticed a similarity to the US political scene. I suspect we're in for a long period of media attacks on anything and everything that people don't like even if dire and wrong consequences occur. Just look at the speed and ferocious attacks on our political leaders (please, both parties)...some deserved yet many are just enjoying the opportunity to gain customers/viewers while they destroy reputations. I believe much harm has come to our nation and our economy (as well as Toyota) from this phenomenon.
    This should be a wake up call to all politicians as well as manufacturers of expensive items like cars. They need to get it right the first time if possible, admit problems immediately, take corrective actions before being required to do so, treat their customers (or voters) as if they really are important, and tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth even when it hurts..."old crow tastes a lot worse than fresh" and it will usually make one sick. :amen: