1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota's Newest Production Approach Could Be a Sign of Trouble

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Full Article

I posted it here because the Crown might be the next model so it may affect North America.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Apparently Toyota has no interest in what I want. Another symptom of the toxic MBA schools.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sign of the times i guess. we've been so spoiled over the years, but we'll get used to it, like anything else.
    there was a 14 month wait when i ordered my first prius in 2004, and a 6 month wait for my factory ordered pip.
    patience is a virtue

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We are seeing counter-measures from other automakers too. Toyota is not alone with the struggle to optimize as the market changes.

Dropping features that would normally be considered standard is the trend I have encountered recently.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Prices have risen and chips are still in shortage for a while especially for Toyota. So you eliminate some of the things that consume chips. And sell lower priced versions to sell more cars as fewer can afford the expensive ones. Doesn't take an MBA...

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm fine with not having any options, as long as the price stays low for the bare bone model without bells and whistles.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If any of the stripped down models ditch the “enormous screen in middle of dash”, bring back controls you can adjust, easily, without taking your eyes off the road, that’d be of interest.

Us3dPriusOwner, Merkey and 3rd3rd like this.
  8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like we're heading to doing web only custom sales. If we're going to end up doing custom orders, what is the point of dealers? Wouldn't that relegate them to just doing what Tesla does, except for more places for service, like finalizing sales and customer orientation?

9. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've wondered how automakers will adjust their products in this environment. You gotta give people what they want. In the past, when gas prices bottomed out, vehicles got larger and big, powerful engines (V-8's, Turbos, Hemis) were all the rage. Toyota even dumped their small T-100 pickup for the full-sized Tacoma in 2005 (which, IMHO, was a huge mistake.) The "super sport" and "heavy duty" vehicles flew out the door.
    So are we going to see more and more hybrids/EV's and smaller, more fuel efficient, vehicles since lower gas prices seem to be killed by this administration? Will they figure out how to NOT have 30+ computer chips in everything? I'm sure they have some very smart engineers working on it!!

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Custom orders generally end up with higher costs.

I once looked at a Scion. At the time, the factory had ran out of the base radio, so I could have gotten the upgrade for free. This sounds like that, but more a "if you want the car sooner, you can get it without the radio." If this leads to anything permanent, it'll be true stripper base trims.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "You can have any color you want, as long as it's lack." There was a method to Henry's madness. ;)

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually in 2020 when they shut down the country (actually the world), I went all in on energy companies when demand went to 0, Dominion, BP, Exxon-Mobil, etc. (Trump was still in office but is totally irrelevant to this). I watched when the total number of operating wells in the US went from 685 to 67, I knew demand would quickly outstrip supply when the country rebounded. These companies aren't stupid, they aren't going to restart these wells with oil still fetching $20 or $30 per barrel. I was going to dump them at some future date, but then this Ukraine - Russia thing happened. Needless to say I'm getting some healthy earnings. :D

Haha nope. A typical car has about 1,000 chips and it'll get worse as they add more safety features and make engines and motors more efficient. They certainly don't put fewer electronics into fighter planes or bombers.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    it doesn't take chips if you have dome lights w/out timers that slowly fade off, or if you have roll up window cranks instead of auto electric that sense whether your arm is in the way etc.

CR94 likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    OK that's what 5 down, 995 to go? Go team no-chip!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess if you're desperate, you'll buy whatever is on the lot. i don't think any mfg's have an advantage here, but ev's might get hit particularly hard

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You know you can do all that and more in one chip. Those are not the features that are pressing prices up.
    Multiple chips are needed to run an ice efficiently. Even more chips are needed to handle all the cameras and sonars and on cars like a Tesla.

I have read that tesla's have between 2000-4000 chips versus around 1400 for a regular ice car without many of the features. Its not the number, Tesla controls its software and hardware, and many of these are general purpose chips. It was able to rewrite software and use other chips. Old line automakers were not able to do this. Toyota also has gotten through the chip shortage well as they had kept orders and made a higher percentage of cars. That helped them have record profits despite selling fewer cars.

Unfortunately there are so few car companies that the ones that did badly seem to be increasing prices and profits on those performing better in the shortage.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would buy a stripped down tesla for 30k

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model: