1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's Prius Proving to Be the Hotter Ride in Hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Aug 22, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's Prius Proving to Be the Hotter Ride in Hybrids

The Toyota Prius, a gas-electric hybrid, is so popular there's a six-to-eight-month waiting list to get one at Koons Tysons Toyota. Across the street at Rosenthal Honda, the rival Honda Civic Hybrid is in ready supply -- 11 cars sat in the sun on a recent morning.

The Prius and Civic have similar new technologies, so it's not just fuel efficiency that's causing drivers to flock to Toyota's hybrid. "The Prius is a fashion statement," said Art Spinella, a consultant with CNW Marketing Research who surveys car-buying trends. "It looks different. Other people know the driver is driving a hybrid vehicle. It clearly makes a bigger statement about the person than does the Civic, which basically looks like a Civic."

"The basic reason I liked the Prius above the Honda is I just thought it was a much cooler-looking car," said Jeff Kash, 47, a West Hills, Calif., middle-school teacher who created a Web site to celebrate his 2004 Prius. "The Honda Civic Hybrid is a nice car, but it's boring."

(Of course I sited other reasons for liking the Prius better, but this is the only thing he decided to print.)

Read entire article by clicking this link.

Jeff

2. babesp

babesp New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    I actually test drove both a Civic and a Prius....the Civic just did not compare as a car - hybrid or not. It did not have the substance - didn't feel as solid as the Prius, nor was it as roomy or comfortable for long distance driving. Sure the Prius is cool, but IMHO it is also simply a better car. Kudos to Honda for adding to the hybrid market - the more hybrids of any brand the better for our environment!

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Civic and pre 2004 Prius were much more similar from the size and feature POV. At least to me, the only difference was the EV as first power (Prius) or as assist (Civic). With the 2004 Prius, there is really no comparison. They cost about the same but that's about it.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the Honda dealer here was offering $2500 rebates on all vehicles here including both hybrids.

the Toyota dealer here was no longer taking any slots onto the waiting list until the list was reduced to a year long.

they have high hopes that their 2005 allotment will be much better. but they were getting 3-5 Priuses every two weeks when my car was delivered.

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Honda should hang in there

While I'm happy to be driving the most popular car in the country, etc, I hope the Civic Hybrid does well because, well, the more the merrier. I think competition between Honda and Toyota will improve both hybrid models and help in the overall campaign to change our pollution habits.
    I was surprised that the article stated the Honda is not doing that well; last I heard there was a wait for the Civic hybrid too, although not nearly as long as that for the Prius.
    Haven't driven a Civic, but I am very impressed by Honda's quality and soldily built cars, and the overall very high mileage of its fleet.
    I didn't consider the Civic when I was buying a car because the sedan isn't nearly as practical as the Prius hatchback, or the Jetta TDI wagon and Ford Focus ZX5, my alternate choices. I went for the nifty geek look and I still look at the car in amazement like a spaceship in my driveway.
    Bob

6. exces6

exces6 New Member

I heard that the Civic uses a system that is the reverse of the Prius. It supposedly uses gas for lower speeds and electric at higher speeds.

Also, I've gotten reports that the Civic is not NEARLY as good as the Prius. And besides, I love saying Prius and knowing that not many people have them.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you heard right... for one thing the honda civic hybrid automatic is classified as a ULEV, the Prius is a SULEV (Super Ultra low emmision vehicle)

8. CHART

CHART Member

Good job Jeff! I read the article on Monday. I wanted to post it and looked for that article on washingtonpost.com for almost an hour last night and couldn't find it!!

9. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A