1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's Underwhelming Solar Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The solar roof that Toyota is offering as an option on its next-generation Prius hybrid sedan may be even less useful than expected, according to a report in the specialty publication EVWorld. The solar panels, reports EVWorld, will add not a microwatt of charge to drive the Prius.

Full Article

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We knew this already... The way this is spun is rather negative, however the article itself goes on to give a fairly good explanation:

3. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I'm not mistaken, it's only part of the ventilation system while the car is parked.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota explained that clearly when we were in Detroit.

Tom

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Again this business of "... improve the overall performance of the car by 75%, not just in terms of fuel efficiency, but in ride, comfort, and styling."

How do you measure that ride, comfort and styling has been improved by any quantitative amount? Certainly fuel efficiency was improved by less than 10% based upon the reported EPA numbers.

Nice to hear that Otsuka-san has a couple of vintage Alfa-Romeos, I also loved those cars when they were still being sold in the US during the 70s. I hope that he is also driving a Prius...

It is also interesting to read about the wiring to the battery causing RF problems. I wonder why a handful of ferrite cores and ceramic capacitors can't solve that particular issue... The car already has a very long cable run from the battery at the rear of the car to the inverter at the front.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    According to reliable sources, the solar panel on the 2010 Prius WILL NOT cause the sun to shine even 1microwatt brighter.

I'm so disappointed.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was inevitable that the solar misconception would emerge in the media.

People just automatically jump to the conclusion that the panel will power the car.

It stems from not having any idea how much electricity can be provided and how much is required.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry folks, 59 watts isn't going to push you very far. Your car can regen as much energy in one freeway offramp stop as this panel will produce in 1 hour!

These challenges, however, do shed some light on what challenges we may face if we try to tie in our panels to the 12V battery for trickle charging.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys have it all wrong. The solar Prius model is designed to be used on Mercury. Initial testing has shown a 25% increase in fuel mileage, but only when used on the side facing the sun.

Tom

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    59 watts solar panel can generate enough power to run the A/C.

Say you park your car at 9AM until noon at work. When you go out for lunch, 3 hours of charge can be stored in the HV battery. If the panel can get 40W, that's 120Wh of energy.

That's enough to run 360W A/C for 20 minutes or 720W A/C for 10 minutes. Plenty of power to cool the car.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not on Mercury.

Tom

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about on Mars? The panel may generate more than 59W. Maybe not, it will just melt. ;)