1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyoya Prius Headlights swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by xaroulitos, Aug 1, 2006.

1. xaroulitos

xaroulitos New Member

Hello there,
    Congratulations for your website

A very quick question please.
    My dad owns a Prius 2004 model and he was thinking to replace the front headlights and rear taillights with those of the latest 2006 model(that includes LED's). Does anyone known and there will be a straight fit and also if the wiring is still adequate or any modification is required in order to fit those new headlights.

Your help at this matter will be appreciated.
    regards

Harris

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do a search on the forum there was a topic about it before.

IIRC it is not an easy swap out. There are more components that just the lights themselves.

3. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think the OP is asking about swapping halogens for HIDs. I think he's asking about changing from the earlier halogen design to the current halogen headlamp design. The earlier design did not have the row of what appear to be LEDs dividing the housing horizontally in the middle.

If that's the case, I doubt it would be a very difficult swap. However, the current standard halogen headlamps do not have LEDs. What appear to be LEDs between the lower headlight housing and the upper turn-signal section are fake and only show up when the regular turn-signal bulb flashes.

Although not as expensive as trying to do a good HID for halogen install, unless someone happens to find the headlamp housings from a wrecked 2006 or newer Prius cheaply, the expense still probably wouldn't be worth the effort to get the 'fake' LEDs.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

In addition, the rear taillight of the 2004/2005 are also LED (at least the brake lamp portion) as is in 2006. They changed the assembly so that it looks clear rather than black, probably because some were finding the black dividers were warping/melting.

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My understanding is that on the non-US 2006 headlights, the "fake" LEDs are actual white LEDs that are used as daytime running lights.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Aug 5 2006, 06:50 AM) [snapback]298181[/snapback]</div>
    they appear to light up but they are reflecting the DRL beam, the CDN lights are the same as the US halogen headlamp assy.