1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS- After a Few Years Indicator Blinks, Triggering Found Duplicate IDs!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jzchen, Sep 11, 2023.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My half brother borrowed our v to go visit his dying mother-in-law in the hospital. Upon start-up got blinking TPMS light then solid, (typical of dead TPMS sensor battery. Got out my MaxiTPMS ITS600, spent maybe 15 - 20 mins updating it completely, went out to find the dead sensor(s).

Background all 5 tires including spare have a sensor installed, but only 4 register at a time. LF and RF trigger immediately. RR takes a very long time, moving the ITS600 top around the sensor area eventually it triggers OK. Move to the LR and it takes a shorter time to trigger but not immediate like the front, and get a duplicate sensor ID red flag!

Suspicion- Both RR and LR triggered the spare sensor? (See attached image if I am allowed to attach it). IMG_1251.jpg

Gonna order a couple of Dorman pre-programmed sensors on Amazon for now.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nope can’t be the spare, tire pressure of the spare should be much higher. Suspect RR is dead which eventually triggered the LR Awaiting sensors from Amazon…

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sensors should arrive today, but I thought I’d try again. This time I did not move the ITS600 around just placed it against the tire sidewall angled it towards the sensor and waited. It eventually reported a Failure on RR, so that is the one that’s likely died… IMG_1258.jpg

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Does the spare even have a sensor? Our 2012 does not.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got a slightly larger spare than original to better match the slightly larger 225/50R17 you kindly recommended. (I removed the styrofoam bottom and placed a mat I got for a Nissan Rogue to cushion it). While I had dismounted the old one and put the new one the sensor was installed…

Air_Boss likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    BTW- Someone from ATEQ confidently said that their product(s) could program the spare sensor into the car. Based on that I tried with the Autel ITS600, which I’m afraid failed…

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @prevee5 Yes we can meet up. I accidentally didn’t say that in my PM. I’m meeting a friend for lunch at Raising Cane’s there in Monrovia at 10:30 am I can easily be there by 10 and help you find which of yours is/are dead…

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With Techstream you can configure the ecu for the spare but it also requires a separate write indicating the “Main Tire” set is 5 rather than 4 sensors.

There is also an option to configure a “2nd Tire” set of ids. Plus a “Select Switch” location to switch from the Main to 2nd set.

IMG_2899.jpeg

#8 rjparker, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    jzchen likes this.
  9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My AUTEL would hold two ID sets, but only for four tires.

jzchen likes this.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @rjparker I grabbed my Techstream clone gear and went to the car. I am not able to change any Main nor 2nd values. I guess I am not tech savvy enough or certain software versions don’t allow it?

(For some reason I thought newer versions do not allow clicking and changing the values on the fly but older ones do)….

Autel ITS600 read all 5 TPMS IDs and programmed the 4 without fuss…

One negative about the Dorman pre-programmed sensors is that they come with a blank New ID sticker, meaning you need a tool that can read its ID…

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With Techstream you pick the Utility button which gives you a pop up window. Disabled popups?

prius tpms ID2 OUT 2023-03-08_22-46-53.jpeg

These are two I put in a car Saturday. $9 each.
    IMG_2909.jpeg

jzchen likes this.
  12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If there’s a pop up blocker I have no idea how to turn it off. My system is basically packaged with a PC. I just install the HDD and boot it up, run VX Manager, make sure the laptop communicates with the VCI, then open TechStream.

I noticed at some point it warns it is not able to communicate with Toyota servers and therefore there is limited capabilities?

I took pictures using my phone of where Utility goes and also where Customize goes after that.

It’s strange but back a long while ago I subscribed to the $65 subscription, was able to even flash an ECU calibration, but yet wasn’t able to do all this. Maybe because my WiFi signal to the laptop was poor at the time? (Now it may be because this is a “clone”)?
    IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To be honest, I tried my Autel ITS600, then my Foxwell NT710, and finally the VXDiag MultiDiag (VCI) TechStream clone package, (TechStream twice now). I’m throwing up the white flag of surrender for now….

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use ID Registration

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That just asked me for the IDs of 4 sensors, no option to change anything beyond that, (with the 5 min countdown I believe)…

(I printed them out from my ITS600 thankfully)…