1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS INITIALLIZE?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kknguyen1168, Jun 26, 2013.

1. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hi all

Have my car for 3 years and very happy with it:), however I just find out that all wheel have TPMS!!! and I do not believe it had been INITIALIZE ????? and I never see the TPMS tire warning when I start the car, so this is my question.

1. I am ready to change another sets of wheel, if it never been INITIALIZE then I will not see the TPMS warning light right?

2. If I buy a second set of TPMS will the prius will take the second set of TPMS and also keep the first set in ECU?

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

2. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about the first question.

But for the 2nd question, if you buy the set, you should have the dealer set up your TPMS using their techstream. The TPMS have serial number on them, so they will be using those number and input it into the TPMS system memory in the vehicle. Your original TPMS serial is gone and will be replaced by the 2nd set you bought. I hope that helps? lol...

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your TPMS system was initialized at the factory or the dealership. You do not have to do anything.

If you have not had a leak in a tire and low tire pressure then you would not have seen the TPMS warning light. I do not remember ever seeing the TPMS light when I start the car. I had a screw in one of my tires that resulted in a slow leak and a TPMS warning light. It worked just fine.

There is a TPMS button next to the OBDII connector, about where your right knee rests. Pushing this button resests the pressure setpoint for the TPMS system. If the tire pressure falls about 25% below this setpoint then you get a warning light.

NutzAboutBolts answered your question about the second set of tires.

4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a TPMS sensor that can be programed to match your original TPMS code so you can swap wheels without reprogramming the ECU. No experience with them, but it seems the way to go.