1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS insanity (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by datdaddy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. datdaddy

datdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    TMPS light was blinking, then staying on. Ordered these units. Dealer installed, then could not get them to be recognized. They blame it on it being an American standard car now in the Netherlands. These should just drop in and be OK, right? See photos. I've done the break-your-neck-find the -button-under--the-steering-wheel trick a few times, driven around, etc to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!
    20181003_151718.jpg 20181003_151718.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, Toyota's TPMS are not plug-and-play. Just resetting the button under the steering wheel will not make a new set of TPMS recognized by the car. New TPMS ids has to be registered to the car's ECU via OBDII port. Dealer has to know that. I don't think there is any difference in US and European versions. They use Techstream to achieve this, but there are some other handheld TPMS register tools available on market.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took me a while but I got it. I wouldn't even bother with that; why gum up the dash window.

WilDavis likes this.
  5. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    yeah, in my other toyota car, it failed after 8 years (low miles, go figure), I will fix it next time i buy new tires. still working in Prius after 8 years, and I just put new tires and forgot to change them.

6. datdaddy

datdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, did a little more research. Looks like the frequency over here in Europe is 434 MHz, which may be why they could not get it to pair. Don't really know what to do now. I guess I can ask them if their equipment is capable of being adjusted to pair the US spec 315 MHz sensors. They may not even know there is a difference, or if their system can be adjusted at will. thanks

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, that would be a problem. I checked your Denso parts number and made sure it is 315 MHz sensors. I did not know EU used 434 MHz. I am not sure but I really doubt the frequency of radio receiver in the car can be changed. You may have to buy a new set of 434 MHz TPMS. Also,there are some aftermarket ones that supports dual frequency meaning TPMS sensor emit either 315 or 434. Good luck.

8. datdaddy

datdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, just hoping the Techstream they use is not EU specific and has a dropdown menu item to select which freq to look for. I'll go by tomorrow and see if I can get them to experiment a bit. Expensive lessons!

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let us know how it goes. If car's internal radio receiver frequency is adjustable by software switch that would make selection of TPMS so much easier, even in the US.

10. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. datdaddy

datdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, it just gets more frustrating. I went by the dealer today to talk to them about the freq difference in the EU sensors and my US sensors (434 vs 315 MHz). They say they must use a separate code reader to get the code from the TPMS valve and then input that code into the Techstream system. They showed me a device they use that looks like it was made in the 1970s USSR which they use to read the codes. They say it can't sense anything. I guess now my question is: Is the code they are looking for the FCC ID or is it a separate code the valve transmits? If it is just the FCC ID, then perhaps I can get it by using a TPMS code reader that is built to read both 434 and 315 mhz valves.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked old photo of broken TPMS that was replaced with aftermarket TPMS at tire shop last year. This came out of Honda, but it is OEM TPMS made by TRW and AFAIK the same TPMS used for PRIUS.
    The TPMS ID you need to register to car's ECU on this TPMS is CC7F8EC4, and clearly not the number indicated for FCC ID: GQ4-49T. I think FCC ID are identical for all of this model of TPMS but TPMS ID on individual unit is unique. The TPMS ID code you need is this unique ID, not the FCC ID. Most of modern TPMS scanner should be able to read both 315MHz and 434MHz TPMS. I used Autel handheld scanner TS408 to read ID off of my Honda and Toyota, only thing was this unit can only scan TPMS ID, did not have OBDII connection to register new ID to car's ECU, so I returned the tool. If you kept original box that came in, ID might be written on the box as well. In anycase, if the dealer does not have hand scanner tool that can communicate with 315MHz TPMS, you are out of luck for them to program them onto ECU. It's hard to believe a dealer does not have better tool, but I don't know situation in EU. At this point, I think you are better off just ignoring the TPMS light on dash, or if you really want functional TPMS, then just order another set of 434MHz TPMS and have tire shop swap and register TPMS. Would be costly, but maybe cheaper than playing with dealer with your 315MHz TPMS, IMHO.
    IMG_20170622_062321.jpg IMG_20170703_191929-COLLAGE.jpg

#12 Salamander_King, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  13. datdaddy

datdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ha, just ordered the scanner! I will demonstrate it for them, then try to flog it to them to replace their antique gear!

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, you are maverick! Which scanner did you order? Good luck working with the dealer. Hope things work out.

15. datdaddy

datdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ord
    Ordered that same MAXI from Autel

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh well, for $100 more you could have ordered Autel TP508 Autel MaxiTPMS This handheld tool have OBDII connectivity and ability to upload TPMS ID onto car's ECU, so you don't even need Techstream. If Europian Prius ECU can communicate with 315MHz TPMS, you are all set. And from now on all tire swaps can be done DIY without taking back to a dealer.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota should "up their game" with TPMS. I've been reading up a bit on Mazda (our son has one): their sensors are automatically recognized by the car with just a little driving, say swapping from all-seasons to snow tires. It's not clear to me, it might be they need a single initial "introduction" by the dealership, but from then on yeah, it's doable, by owner, without extra equipment.

As it bloody should be... :cautious:

m.wynn likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but OP is talking about 8 years old car. Give Toyota a few more years to redesign. Honda has already moved away from using TPMS sensor altogether and using ABS sensor based indirect TPMS in many of newer models as have many other European makers. Older technology but simpler to implement and no hussle for user to deal with. Over the years, improved accuracy of ABS sensors gave a second chance for this system. Like Audi did in 2011 Audi's indirect tire pressure monitoring system - why it makes good sense with AWD | BestRide It is just as good as dumb TPMS lights on many of current direct TPMS, like the one in Prius. I think that's what is going to happen to many cars equipped with ABS, but currently not displaying real time TPMS information on screen.

#18 Salamander_King, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They should just make the batteries EASY to replace! That is the main reason they go bad.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy to replace also means not sealed against the elements.