1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Issues with New Rims

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kross_23, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Kross_23

Kross_23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys.

I am a newbie and just recently purchased a 2008 Prius and would like to change the rims but I am worried that it will ruin the TPMS. I looked at the custom rims thread that people posted on and I would like to know if you guys had any issues with the TPMS.

Also if so how can I fix this problem and how much will this cost? Thanks so much in advance.

2. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys, am I not correct in stating that it isn't the rims that contain the TPMS modulator/chip. I believe it is inside the actual tire at the valve stem, so the wheel/rim shouldn't make any difference.

3. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Yes, I believe the TPMS from Toyota is at the valve stem. So what you have to determine is if the new rims will accept the original valve stems. I'm not 100% familiar with it, but some rims have a different shape and will not accept the Toyota TPMS system.

4. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the Toyota TPMS system is integral to the valve stems. Some rims will accept the sensor/stem combination readily. Others may not and you may need a strap. I have 2 sets of rims, and the winter set does not have TPMS sensors installed. I just ignore the TPMS light all winter.

If/when you get new rims and TPMS installed, remember to have them use a bit of silicone grease around the seals. In many cases, air will leak out just a tiny bit and the grease will prevent that.

I like this solution, but you lose TPMS functionality (not a big deal if you monitor tire pressure closely like me):
    DIY - TPMS Canister/Pipe Bomb - Club Lexus Forums

6. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, just make sure the rim is TPMS ready, most newer wheels (like 2006 +) on the market are