1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tpms light came on after getting new tires

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gypsydaisy, Nov 10, 2016.

1. gypsydaisy

gypsydaisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I got a new set of tires put on my 2012 Prius C yesterday. Upon leaving the shop everything was fine, drove about 30 miles, parked the car for 4 hours while i had a rehearsal... when i started my car, everything was normal...however once i got on the highway about 10 miles from where i was parked, the TPMS light blinked for a minute and then remained on. Checked the manual and it says something is faulty....anyone have any insight..... could it be because they didnt reset the new tire pressure in the system....i checked all the tire pressures and they were all fine. 38 front //back 40 .

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! go back and have them fix it. hopefully it's just a reset, but if a sensor is bad, they may have damaged it.

3. gypsydaisy

gypsydaisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    thanks so much! good to know, because the lights were working properly before the new set was on!! going back today when i get off work!

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please let us know the outcome, all the best!(y)

5. gypsydaisy

gypsydaisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    will do!!!!! thanks again!!!!! :)

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take a look at the tire valves (all four): the valves with TPMS sensors are metal, and regular valves would be black rubber. I don't think they would be dumb enough to remove your TPMS equipped valves and installed regular, but you never know, lol.

Your car being a 2012, it's very unlikely a failing battery or similar, way too soon for that. My best guess would be they somehow damaged one or more of the sensors.

Also, the TPMS system has a delayed response sometimes; that might explain why the warning light didn't come on immediately upon leaving the tire place.

gypsydaisy likes this.
  7. gypsydaisy

gypsydaisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    hmmmmm...i would surely hope they wouldn't be that stupid....however i just went to the parking lot to check them out....and ONE of my valves is different than the rest and it looks to be plastic/rubber material.... as soon as my employee gets here, im taking lunch and going to their shop.... THANK YOU so much for the help, i think this just may be the issue..... ill be sure to post the outcome once i get back... i will be going in about an hour.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aha!

They may have swapped out the Toyota sensor/valve combo and put in a regular valve, but again, that would be really barefaced dumb. They might have also put in some sort of generic sensor/valve, attempted to initialize it, and failed.

I'd be inclined to demand a Toyota sensor/valve, properly initialized. In other words: restore your car to how it was when you came in. Perhaps the simplest way would be to get an agreement from the tire shop: to reimburse a Toyota dealership who will do it properly.

I would let them do most of the talking when you go back, at least at first. See if they volunteer that there was any problem with any of the sensors, that something's been replaced. And if they close ranks, maybe then ask why one looks different. Hopefully does not get adversarial. Always best to keep your cool. I'd suspect since you've likely caught them on something sneaky, they'll be very interested in resolving it properly, ie: the Toyota dealership route.

I doubt the tire shops much like the TPMS sensors, and I don't really blame them.

Please post the outcome, getting interesting. :)

#8 Mendel Leisk, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    gypsydaisy likes this.
  9. gypsydaisy

gypsydaisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I appreciate your help so much!!! Did what you said, was very calm and professional... talked to the owner of the shop and had him look at the valves with me, he was surprised and i feel it was honest based off his reaction to the one was different.... and its pretty much what you said....they have a new guy and he damaged one and replaced it with this janky one.... what i don't understand is, why if he knew he damaged something..was i not told a different part was being put on my car... :| but whatever.... now the owner is aware of what happened.... and says the guy will be "talked to " about the situation, but i'm on my way to Toyota in Myrtle Beach and they are going to put a new one on for me and the tire place is taking care of the bill, as it should be!!!!!!! Like i said, i really appreciate your insight!!! So glad i joined this forum today! Had i not received your advice...they may have tried to one over me again..... i'm sure this is the issue, but will post again once i drive home the dealership.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is excellent!

gypsydaisy likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler