1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS part number confirmation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by redprius10, Jun 19, 2024.

1. redprius10

redprius10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi folks,

I need to replace some or all of my TPMS sensors. Found a set on eBay with part #42607-33021. It says they will fit my vehicle year. Can someone please confirm this for me before I buy? Many thanks.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Call the Toyota parts department and spew out that number and the parts guy will tell you yay or nay your TPMS sensors are made by the company that makes your center caps and wheel trim the name of the company is called Pacific like the ocean on the western side of the country or whatever I believe the generation 3 has the red logo near the p not the green but I have to go out and look at the car they sell them on eBay for $50 a set or less I've seen some of the original Toyota ones with a Toyota box on eBay just recently $12 a piece something like that they are stamps now not painted logo with the word Pacific something manufacturing I have to go physically look I don't know the factory Toyota part number but that's not really a concern they are made by this company called Pacific and you can buy directly from sellers online that sell them I guess they make TPMS centers for a lot of companies not just Toyotas generally as long as they broadcast on the same frequency generally you're in good shape but be careful of other names like a u t e l their TPMS sensors only work with their TPMS tools and therefore different guidelines and etc are in play Good luck this is a very simple pretty easy thing to deal with I do not know the part numbers from Toyota by heart I don't generally buy these directly from the Toyota dealers kind of price prohibitive

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    According to my notes, Toyota's part number was originally 42607-33011 for gen 3, superseded by 42607-33012.

The -33021 (note last digits reversed) part shows up in some internet posts from people who said "I found this one online instead and it was cheaper." But when I checked Toyota pricing, there wasn't anything cheaper about a real -33021 than a real -33012. So I'm guessing people who said they found -33021 for cheaper are really saying they found eBay or Amazon sellers who listed what they were selling as -33021 equivalent. If buying from Toyota, with no significant price difference between the two, of course I'd buy the -33012 since they say it's what goes on the car.

If not buying from Toyota, I'm pretty sure the part is a PMV-107J from Pacific Industrial. But of course you, as a retail purchaser, can't buy one from Pacific Industrial. What you can find is dozens of Amazon and eBay sellers with weird made-up names who will sell you things they tell you are Pacific Industrial PMV-107Js for really attractive prices.

Sadly, that's what's happened to a lot of the automotive parts market.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Scratch that ... a Toyota 42607-33012 turns out to be a PMV-C11A.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The new Pacific industrial logo business is no longer painted with a color like red or green in it It's now literally stamped in the lip or the edge of the unit The name of this company and maybe the PV number It's just like embossed like you stamp a gun or something and if you blow up the sellers on eBay the pictures they have posted generally now you see that in the pictures provided there sending you what their picturing I guess that might be another problem but hasn't been for us so far we've gotten a few of these things without incident they seem correct and they kind of match the number that goes in the Toyota that we're taking out

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The presumably-genuine one I just received from Toyota doesn't match that description; all of its identifying marks are very finely made in white ink on the black body of the sensor.

The only marks embossed on the sensor are the no-household-trash icon and the body material identifier >PA66-GF35<.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like I say the ones I bought a year ago that sat around forever maybe even 2 years and they just sat around here in a box they were bought from a supplier that actually showed the logo with the green little icon whatever that is a leaf or something I don't know now none of the sellers show this icon and all of the pictures that the sellers are showing which don't look all to be the same show the name of the company Pacific like stamped in the plastic. And the color and the little white business is not there The model number I think is still stamped and white I'm getting ready to order another set so I'll take pictures and all that when they get in

8. redprius10

redprius10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you tell by looking at these on eBay are genuine Toyota OEM...or fake knockoffs? I don't have enough posts to paste a link, but the eBay item number is 285358247300.

EDIT: Nevermind.....I don't think they are Toyota

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you want the Toyota part numbers then you will be buying Toyota parts new old stock or brand new at the dealer for what they charge you if you want the Pacific manufacturing number the PMC number blah blah blah like pushed above then that's what you shop for If you take the green label ones off your generation 2 like I did I'll try to post a picture later there's some in the glove box of the originals of one of the cars You take that one off of your wheel and you flip it over and I put on my magnifying glasses then I can get the PMC number off of my original with the little green in the circle of the Pacific logo and then I can go look for the PMC number and on the newer PMC stuff the Pacific manufacturing is stamped melted into the edge of the seam where the two halves are made together The red and the green Pacific circle is now not there most of them have a QR code thingy on them that you can aim your phone at and it will whisk you away to all the funny business. I don't think a lot of folks are really trying to copy or fake Pacific manufacturing because they're pretty large company they're not hugely expensive buying direct they cost a lot more through your dealer hello obviously once Toyota motor sales USA gets involved holy Christ you don't think everything goes up 60% boy. But I guess like everything else in the world there's big money in spoofing a tire sensor manufacturer's business holy Christ what if we come to It is wildly hysterical to me that we even have to think this way it's just comedical

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The image in that eBay listing looks very, very similar to the sensor I'm holding in my hand, only that the fonts are a little bit different, some of the text is aligned slightly differently, and the "Pacific Industrial Co. Ltd." isn't there.

11. redprius10

redprius10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I'm guessing they are knock offs then. Can't trust anybody these days.