1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS probably saved my rim

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by yardman 49, Sep 2, 2009.

1. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello all:

Not really a hybrid thread, although I do own a G2 Prius with the TPMS.

I just picked up a new lease vehicle for work, a 2010 Sienna minivan. It came with some options, including the 17" alloy wheels. Really nice looking with those rims (waayyy better than the stock 16" wheels with hubcaps).

Anyway, I had it on my "to do" list to check all the tire pressures, and to maybe set them to a couple of pounds over the recommended (35psi all around for this vehicle). But I had not yet done this. So lo and behold, this morning I go out early to run an errand, and I find the TPMS warning light is on. So before I leave, I check the pressures and find that they are all at 28 psi. So I bring them up to 37 psi, and see that the TPMS warning goes off. I then recalibrate the TPMS to the 37psi pressure. So far, so good. The TPMS was working properly (it should indicate when tire pressure falls 8psi below the last calibration point).

While I'm driving a little while later, I look down and see the TPMS light on again. What in the world?!?! Did I damage a valve stem? Make a mistake calibrating the TPMS? Have a loose valve core? So I pull over to take a look.

Much to my surprise, I hear a hissing from the driver's side rear tire. I look and find a fairly large piece of metal sticking in the tread! I realize that this hole probably cannot be plugged, so I call the leasing company and ask them if I can take it to the dealer, in case the tire needs to be replaced. They agree, so I put on the spare, and go get the tire changed for an indentical unit.

This is the first time that I've had a TPMS warning of any sort, and I was very glad to see it work, both for the slightly low pressure in the morning, and for the puncture situation. I could have driven on the highway and never known that the tire was going flat until it was actually flopping around, and there is always the possibility that the alloy rim could have been damaged had the tire gone fully flat before I realized what was happening, or had a chance to pull off into the breakdown lane.

I'm thankful that TPMS did its job.

2. Old-Crows

Old-Crows New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Frank,

Great story. TPMS is my favorite active safety items. I've had the TPMS go off three times in my '04 Sienna and its never been a bogus alarm. The last time was at 11PM heading down I-10 to San Antone to pick up the XYL at the airport. Somewhere between "Lost" and "Found" the TPMS went off. Knowing this is not a joke... I put out the speed boards and started coasting down from the sinful side of 65 all the while looking for a place to get well off the super highway. Good Karma was with me... about 2 miles ahead I saw the lights of a Shell station/Quick Mart at the Boerne Stage Rd. exit. I squeaked into the parking lot just in time to see the tire completely flatten on the left rear. Yep.. a big fat piece of metal right in the center of the tread!!!! No worries!!! Changing the dead tire out to the donut was easy enough on the big flat concrete pad under the 100 million candle power lights! Just like the pits at Le Mans!!!!

I've often paused to think about the consequences without the TPMS... I'd been stuck at the side of the interstate on 'iffy' ground and would have had my A$$ hanging out into the highway... Sweet! With all the drunken, doped, and asleep drivers on the road at midnight. What a way to DIE!!!!

My only complaint is that the TPMS annunciator is not well thought out. The amber light is too small and hard to see in bright sunlight and that goofy 2X chime is worthless.... I'd want something that gets in my face and attracts some attention..

Cheers Mate