1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Question and Voice Activ. Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Moderator, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Moderator

Moderator New Member

This was a PM sent to Moderator from a brand new member, Macomb (welcome!). Reposting it here as thread...

---------------------------

Yesterday I took my 2006 to the dealer for oil/filter change, lube, tire rotation, state inspection, wash, and checkout of a problem with the voice activated control system for temp, radio, etc. I am coming up on my 1 yr anniv. 25 Jan. and will have 10,018 miles on the car on that date.

My voice activ. system will only take some commands when the car is sitting still. For instance, when still, I can say 74 degrees and the temp will be set correctly. Once in motion, it will always set to 78 degrees for any request in the 70s. If I say 68 or 66 degrees the temp will set correctly whether the car is moving or still. Same behavior if I say: "AM radio". I know there have been threads here for correcting this--TSB? My dealer was stumped by this problem and had not heard of it before. They were unable to address it, so I'm looking for some guidance from this site. Thanks in advance.

Second issue is with the Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS). The mechanic came out very early on to tell me that the chrome valve stem caps I had replaced the OEM plastic ones with had to be removed immediately. He told me that metal caps will ruin the TPMS sensors and that each sensor costs $100.00. He further stated that he had replaced quite a few sensors in the past few months and that in every case the metal caps were the culprit. Has anyone here heard of this? Has Toyota identified/documented this problem? What would cause it? He said the dissimilar metals cause corrosion and that's what ruins the sensors. We do have a lot of road salt here in NYS, though there hasn't been much need for that this year so far with only two small snowfalls. Oddly enough my TPMS light did come on and stay on for two commutes to and from work, just the day before the dealer visit. I checked the pressures in the tires once home and in my garage--all were where I keep them (AOK pressure). The light went off yesterday when I started up for work and stayed off. Could that be a harbinger of trouble to come?

I like the car but had bad reactions at first, to the fumes given off by the interior--I heated the inside of the car to 100 deg. with electric space heaters for two weeks with the windows cracked open and that seemed to 'fix' the outgassing. My avg. is 50+ mpg.

2. Macomb

Macomb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moderator @ Jan 12 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]374607[/snapback]</div>

Sorry for the confusing 1st post by me. I thought that I was addressing it to the Moderator for screening and acceptance to post. I am new to posting.

Secondly, I need to clarify the voice activ. issue a little: If I'm sitting still and the radio is set to FM and I say "AM Radio" the system switches from FM to AM radio. If the car is in motion and I say "AM radio" when the car is set to CD or FM it will state something like "This function is not available". Obviously, I have not used a broader range of voice commands since I only know about the issue with temperature settings and selection of AM radio.

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance.

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm...I don't see how a valve stem cap on the OUTSIDE of the stem is ever going to effect the electronics the reside INSIDE the tire. Are the metals really dissimilar?

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< One of my first mods was to replace the plasic valve caps with chrome. That was in November '06. So far, no problems to my knowledge.

In some instances dissimilar metals can trigger electrolosis in the presence of moisture or chemicals - could that be an issue? One thing that really prompted my changing the caps out was the SUPER CHEAP plastic OEM caps which were hard to thread onto the valve stem. It actually took me longer to re-install the caps than to check and adjust the tire pressure. **SIGH** Maybe I'd better go find some better-made plastic or rubber caps. Actually, I'd like to find some longer ones, easier to remove/install... I keep my tire pressures closely regulated with a 12v mini-compressor and professional-grade analog pressure gauge.

Any Prius techs onboard heard of similar problems?

5. Macomb

Macomb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Macomb @ Jan 12 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]374616[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the metals are dissimilar. The caps that I bought are not magnetic. The valve stems are slightly magnetic. I have decided to stay with the plastic caps. It's not worth $400.00 replacement of the TPMS sensors just to have some nice shiny chrome on the wheels.

Relative to the other issue (Voice Activ.):
    Any thoughts from any of the experts on here about the Voice Activation issue that I'm experiencing? I couldn't get the radio to come on at all this morning...only the CD player, then from there by voice, could only get FM radio. Galaxee, has your husband ever heard of such a thing. My Toyota dealer was completely surprised by this one.

Thanks in advance for the help.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH agrees with your tech as far as the chrome caps go. that black cap was intended to be the primary seal, believe it or not, the secondary seal is the valve core. (there's a little o-ring in there, so if you don't have them anymore you need to get them from your dealer) and the black caps will not seize like chrome ones will, which of course can cause problems leading to replacement of the sensors if physical damage is done trying to remove them.

overall recommend using the black caps.

about the light, have you checked and then *reset* your pressure monitors?

for the voice activation, has this just started or has this been happening since the car was brand new?

7. Macomb

Macomb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 15 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]375872[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks very much for the information Galaxee. I not only have the original black plastic caps, but the service technician put additional ones on and left the chromed caps in my center console (If he had looked in the top glovebox, he'd have found the originals in there, but certainly he had better things to do than go on a 'needle in a haystack' type hunt over my poor substitution).

The voice activation problem has been this way since day 1. I thought at first it was because the system needed 'training' or I needed to speak in a certain way. I know it didn't work correctly from the beginning and it certainly has not gotten any worse. I haven't used all the voice commands, but thusfar these two (temperature setting and AM radio) are the only ones that I've used that do not work when in motion...they work fine when sitting still.

My last car was a Pontiac Bonneville SSE, loaded with leather seats and all. I wanted the Prius for it's technology, reliability and fuel economy. While it did take a little getting used to, I now can't really say there's any difference between the Prius and the Bonneville other than fuel consumption and very comfy seats in the GM. So far, the Prius has NOT disappointed! Cargo capacity is better. Handling, with the Integrities, is excellent thusfar even with the NY snow/ice that we get. The car's HVAC is the best I've ever experienced in any vehicle. Galaxee, please pass along my thanks to DH for his expert advice...I appreciate it.

8. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Regarding the voice commands. I have experimented with them and have had pretty good success (80 to 90 % of my commands are properly executed).

I did learn that if your climate control fan is at higher settings, such that you are making a lot of air noise, that will tend to interfere with the voice commands. You might turn off the climate control, just for a test, and see if that makes a difference.

I am not near the car right now, but I think if you say "Help" to the voice command system, it will tell you all of the commands available to you in the menu that you are at.

good luck.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: One of the 'interesting' problems I've experienced with voice commands is passengers commenting after I press the button. One passenger even tried to 'respond' when Ernestine said enter command after the beep. :lol: As previously commented, loud fan noise will also interfere. While these are irritating, the major issues I have are having the system provide a logical response. When I speak "Go Home" Ernestine2 may respond "Showing Post Office Icons" or some other innane response. [I named my Prius "Ernestine" after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character since her answers are sometimes totally unrelated to my request]. Then there's the ongoing confusion on when certain commands are even available, thus the responses sometimes "That command is not available..." Even after more than two years of Prius NAV systems, I still do not get consistent responses. I believe I get appropriate responses in about 70% of the time - all things considered, not too bad for a completely generic system - that is one in which you do not 'train' the system to your own voice.