1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Relearn

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TomasV, Oct 22, 2020.

1. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I have 2 2010 Prius(es)(ii?) and I would like to take the wheels off of one and put them on the other one. They both have working TPMS sensors, I just want to do that because I'm borrowing my mother one and want to put better tires on it. Can I do the relearn procedures myself, or do I need a TPMS scan and programming tool?

2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need a programming tool: get all sensor IDs for both cars, and keep a record. Then program the IDs into the other car; done through the OBD-ii port.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, you will need TPMS programming tool such as Autel TS502 or TS508, or you will need Techstream. I've read Carista offers this TPMS programing with their subscription app, but I did not find that capability on mine. If this is one time thing and you can't find the tool to use, the least expensive way would be to take both cars to a tire shop to have tires swapped and TPMS relearn procedures done. Should be the same cost as having the tire rotation done on two cars.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I use Techstream to change, but I need to update for my new RAV4H.
    It's not like my VW/Chrysler minivan which learns the codes by itself, which is kinda cool.
    I am trying to remember if there is a programmable TPMS you set the old codes into, but still you have to buy a programmer device.

Keep in mind your system thinks it still has good TPMS readings in its memory banks. Gen2 anyways you need a longer trip (~30 min) for the TPMS warning light to react. Assuming your only goal is to keep the TPMS light off.

I also have the Autel 401 (?) which I like. It just allows me to read pressures and TPMS codes for most vehicles. So that's how I check my tire pressure now.

TPMS is wild and crazy topic with so many different logics for each car manufacturer and so many different TPMS designs. Owning an older Prius made me an expert, but even I screw up. Once on a road emergency I bought a programmable Schrader TPMS figuring the tire place could program it. Wrong.

#4 wjtracy, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  5. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I need to update, too, for my 2019 Prius TPMS; no problem on my 2018 Sienna. I think it's the interface that we need to update, not Techstream. Has anyone reading this successfully connected to a newer Toyota's TPMS computer?