1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Sensor replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lancerprius, Oct 18, 2023.

1. lancerprius

lancerprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    2016 prius

I needed 2 new tires so went into the tire shop and got them done. This was 2 days ago.

So today on my car got the flat tire light to go on. I went back to the tire shop and he said 2/4 sensors look to be going bad.

I told him the sensor was not on before the tires were changed. He said they were probably going bad, (i bought the car 5 years ago ) and replacing the tires made them lose the signal or something like that. He said they can replace the sensors at the tire shop which saves like $200 from the dealer.

So my question is am i getting ripped off here or is this guy legit? Like I said, before the new tires, the light was not on. Or is he correct that the sensors were 5/6 years old and going bad anyway and needed to be replaced.

Part 2- anyone bought these sensors over amazon? I see 4 non-OEM of them are much cheaper than the tire shop but from the reviews half of them work.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would check the tire pressures and reset the system

Drakxyfly likes this.
  3. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Mazda 2009 TPMS had seen lots of tire changes. They are designed to last at least 10 years. Two of mine shafts broke before the battery went dead. From what I read, I wouldn't go with Amazon TPMS sensor. Their battery life is apparently bad.