1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Sensors for aftermarket wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by alsteckprius, Dec 24, 2012.

1. alsteckprius

alsteckprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My son is offering me his almost new 17" Scion FR-S tires. He's upgrading. I was planning to keep my 15 inchers with the snow tires and get a set of inexpensive wheels for the 17" summer tires. But it occurs to me that I would need a new set of Prius compatible TMPS sensors for the 17" wheels. Tire Rack is asking something like $230 for a set of 4. Does anyone have any leads for less expensive sensors? By the way, the FR-S tires are exactly the same size as the optional Prius 17" tires.

Sorry if this has already been covered in other threads/forums, but I could find nothing in search results.

Thanks for your help.

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try looking for used 1's on ebay.......I would Try to stick with OEM

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You really don't NEED the TPMS sensors. I would keep the ones in your winter OE wheels so that you can turn the car back to stock when you go to sell it or trade it in. Run the FRS wheels without the sensors and ignore the light but check your tire pressure often.

You will also need a 5mm spacer to fit the FRS wheels (+48mm offset) on your car. They supposedly won't clear the calipers otherwise.

Be forewarned that you will lose 4+mpg with the new wheels/tires.