1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Sensors suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by purplePriii, Sep 22, 2024 at 1:04 AM.

1. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to install a set of TPMS sensor on my aftermarket wheels but I am not sure if there's any specifics I need to pay attention for aftermarket wheels or TPMS sensors as it's the first time I have them on a car. The OEM are a bit pricey in the $70 range a pop. I've seen a few others like Denso, Bosch and Schrader at RockAuto and from what I read most seems rebrands. Any better than others?

I think the Gen 5 takes 315mhz sensors but don't know much else currently.

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two types of Toyota sensors; the car works with either, but only the newer sort can be registered via the user interface rather than with a scantool. That's the only detail I'm aware of, but no specific info on what you'll find from 3rd parties.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Many newer cars automatically check in the TPMS & identify their location so that you don't require a scan tool anymore. iirc all that's required is for the car to be in motion above 20mph for ~20 minutes. Both of our vehicles are from 2018 & soon as we change from summer wheels to our studded set, the TPMS auto check in - in this fashion. Side note .... at 6 years - the TPMS batteries have started going ... so best to change them out before that length of time - typically when the tires wear out.

When one TPMS sensor fails - REDI-Sensor.

#3 hill, Sep 22, 2024 at 10:56 AM
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2024 at 11:04 AM
  4. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can see online, it seems Toyota part # is 42607-0E090 for the newer ones, right?

3rd party so far seems confusing in terms of which ones need programming and a tool or just drop in. There are a few sets of so called Toyota sensors on ebay for cheap. I'm not sure how real/good they are though.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The part number I have in my notes is 42607-02070. Add "-VK" (vehicle kit) for a pack of 4. Originally found that in the German Prius price list, and I believe that's what I ended up with on my winter wheel order (which I don't have to hand).

List price in the brochure for that is €225 for the kit of 4, so expect cheaper than that online, but I'd suspect anything less than half that of being fake. (Mine weren't priced separately from the wheels+tyres).

Don't know about that 0E090. Quite possible they've got different production and part number for spares in different parts of the world.

I think Toyota may have stopped making the older sort by now.

Looking on the US Toyota parts site, that shows me the same 02070 part when I search for TPMS for the Prius:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor

But "what this fits" for the part says "2 models, 10 variants between 2023 and 2024", which would have to be ONLY the Prius. That's a bit odd. In Europe the 02070 is pretty standard, I think, not some special Prius thing.

Maybe that's come out of the international specs, and not been replaced with a local substitute by Toyota USA - something they'd normally do?

#5 KMO, Sep 23, 2024 at 1:29 AM
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 1:58 AM
  6. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm also seeing 0E090. It replaced 47010.

The 2 models, 10 variants doesn't work for a Prius. Anything that fits on all US Priuses should be 2 models, 18 variants between 2023-2024.

Prius: FWD LE, FWD XLE, FWD LTD, AWD LE, AWD XLE, AWD LTD(6)
    Prius Prime: SE, XSE, XSE+(3)
    (6+3)x2=18
    (I double checked this on a couple parts common to every Prius, but only Priuses.)

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    But are you seeing anything saying that those are Prius-compatible? I imagine they might well be, but the autoparts.toyota site isn't showing the 0E090 up for me when searching with a Prius selected. Just the 02070. (which replaced 47020, apparently).

8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ok, now I'm starting to see the problems. There are some errors in the autoparts.toyota database. Not every gen5 has a TPMS sensor fitment. It's obviously an oversight. My variant(AWD LTD) is one of the variants they missed, so 47020 wasn't showing up for me when I searched by my VIN.

Here's what the autoparts.toyota database currently says:
    LE, XLE, XLE AWD, SE, XSE - 47020 is listed
    LE AWD, LTD, LTD AWD, XSE+ - 47020 is not listed

As you can see, it must be an error as there's no rhyme or reason to which ones are excluded.

But if you use SparksParts(which uses a different Toyota parts database), all Priuses are listed as using the 47010/0E090. The 47020 is listed in their database, but they don't include any fitments for it at all.

And then if you go to MicroCat, it gets even more confusing.
    47010(0E090) - all US except the E/G Korean spec, the European HEV with the old 1.8L
    47020(02070) - the E/G Korean spec, all European PHEV
    (apparently Japan doesn't get TPMS because nothing was listed for theirs?)

I can't find any sources with the mhz specs for any of the four part numbers.

So I basically know less now than when I started. :confused:

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, of course radio standards are going to be a thing here. I recall the pre-delivery checklist mentioning that TPMS is disabled in production due to not being Japanese RF-legal. And US and Europe may require different standards.

I note I can't actually get 02070 by searching by part number on the autoparts site - only by searching for "TPMS" with a Prius selected as the vehicle.

So hazarding a guess, 47010/0E090 is the correct US part, and 47020/02070 is the correct European part. And everything else is errors?

I think you might be right about Japan not having TPMS. Can't see it in the Japanese manual - light isn't there in the warning light diagrams.

The sensors are operating at 433-434MHz according to the EU manual. I gather that's different from the US norm of 315MHz? If the US manual specifies frequency, I've not found it.

#9 KMO, Sep 23, 2024 at 11:45 AM
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 11:54 AM
  10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yep, there we go. 47010/0E090 is a 315MHz sensor and 47020/02070 is a 433MHz sensor.

315MHz is outlawed in the EU(reserved for other purposes). And apparently the South Korean military uses 315MHz, which is why the Korean spec uses 433MHz. The 1.8L HEV for Europe probably lists 315MHz as an oversight as I don't think Toyota has actually exported any there. The only 1.8L HEVs that I know of outside of Japan so far are in Mexico.

What's been complicating this even more is that Toyota is currently transitioning to newer style 315 and 433 sensors. I think the old ones were a 2-piece metal unit, and the newer ones are single piece plastic/rubber. Or something like that. I also think the old ones need a scantool to be registered to the car, while the new ones can do it themselves. But I could be wrong about that.

11. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Car Car Nut video I saw concurs with the gist of that, except that he has the new ones being 2-piece with rubber neck, while old ones were single-piece.

So presumably 47010 and 47020 are the old-style scantool-required parts and G5 Prius owners should be looking for 0E090 or 02070 specifically, depending on region.

(Or maybe there's an even-older part number for the scantool-required parts?)

12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I assumed any references to the 1.8L in the "European" manual were there to cover some non-EU markets, hence the non-EU frequency. I get the impression the manuals are effectively:
    • "Japan" (all engine options),
    • "North America" (2.0 HEV + 2.0 PHEV),
    • "Europe + Rest of world" (2.0 PHEV + 1.8 HEV).

13. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I suspect the scantool-required types are even older part numbers that predate the introduction of the Prius. I suspect the newer change in part numbers might be a change in manufacturers or maybe a change in manufacturing location. Either that or a minor design update now that the new style has been out for a few years.

And I'm sure I just swapped that 1-piece/2-piece info. I was searching through websites pretty quick(mostly different Toyota forums) and must've conflated things.

14. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thanks guys, that's a lot of info and clears up the part numbers!

I did find that the sensors in the US are 315mhz and the OEM should be manufactured by Pacific. I was wondering about the stem rubber vs aluminum as stock wheels came with rubber ones. So it does seem the newer ones are rubber stems.

I also checked and the ebay "genuine Toyota" ones that cost about $100-120 a set appear to be fakes. There's both rubber and aluminum stems that appear if you look up the US part number. The vast majority of them seem like Hamaton HTS-A66DD that are dual frequency sensors (315/433). In theory they should work but who knows. Hamaton also has a model of sensors with NFC so you can program them with your phone I'm currently looking at this one as I don't have a TPMS tool and the shops around here are either pretty pricey with their TPMS sensors ($50-70) or unsure they can program any sensors unless you buy it from them.

I'm also trying to find info on the programming, clone and re-learn TPMS sensors come with. Way too much info and so far I haven't found a cheaper alternative.

#14 purplePriii, Sep 23, 2024 at 2:23 PM
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 2:38 PM
  15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly the scantool-required type pre-date the Prius. The change started around 2018, according to the Car Care Nut video.

I'm not suggesting that there are two types of post-Prius parts. Just that the 47010 and 47020 may be the the pre-2018 parts.

Are you seeing any reference that ever said that the Prius should have the 47010 specifically? Or just references to the 2E090, which is indicated as a compatible replacement for the 47010?

16. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    MicroCat(via toyota-tech.eu) only has 47010 listed for the US version.

Attached Files:

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. And when I did a bit more looking, I can't find any TPMS part on autoparts that has a large number of compatible models. 47010 has the same silly small number.

Are they really making that many sensor variants for different models?

Next theory - could it be that 47010/47020 are the factory-fit, and 2E090/02070 are the local replacement? The letter in the middle of the code suggests that to me. Factory parts tend not to do that, right? That kind of fits the pattern for oil filters...

18. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured I'd update this in case one day finds the thread through a search. I settled for some BH SENS UV7051 with a rubber valve.

I was going to try the self learning/detecting for a second set and report back how it goes (if I remember) !