1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Summary Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Nov 30, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, the season for tire/rim changes and low tires has arrived and as such we've had a fair number of TPMS questions come up in the last couple of days. This says to me it's time to summarize so hopefully people see this before starting yet another TPMS light thread.

In the 2006s and newer you have the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) which consists of 4 direct pressure monitoring sensors and a TPMS ECU (computer). The sensors are located inside the wheels are are integrated into the valve stem- they detect tire pressure and send that information to the ECU. (These sensors are powered by Li-ion batteries which last about 10 years and are non-replaceable, so when the battery goes you will need to buy new ones.) When your tire pressure drops 25% of the set value the ECU kicks on the little yellow warning light, which is a cross section of a tire with an exclamation point that looks something like this: (!)

In the case that you see the warning light, you need to check your tire pressures and fill to the correct pressures. (Correct meaning whatever you prefer) Then you need to reset the system by pressing and holding the SET button under the steering wheel. The light will blink 3 times and go out.

Should your tire shop break one of your sensors while changing a tire, they will need to buy you a new one and pay for the dealer to register it to your car. The registration is done with the 7 digit ID on the outside of the sensor itself and the Toyota Scantool so this must be done at the dealership. The sensor must be registered to your car in order to function.

Now should you swap wheels altogether and decide to go without the sensors altogether, you will see that light all the time. It seems to take a while for the car to realize that you no longer have the sensors in there, and the light is a bit erratic. If you store your stock wheels with sensors inside within about 60 feet of the car, it will make the lighting up of the warning light even more erratic because the car will communicate with the sensors when you start up near them.

Another possibility is to put the sensors into your new rims. This will not work for all non-stock rims because the sensor must be of the correct angle in order to fit inside the rim. If the angle differs, you would need to buy new sensors with the correct angle and have them registered at the dealership.

If you want to have two sets of rims- say one for winter and one for the rest of the year- and you want to have TPMS sensors in each set of rims, you will need to have the sensors re-registered each time you swap. You want to have the 7 digit IDs written down for each set so you don't have to have the tires broken down each time. The cost for new sensors is about $105 a piece, according to DocVijay who purchased a set fairly recently. Registration shouldn't cost a whole lot more than $50. There is no Main/2nd switch to date. When we have time we will dig more into that. The only Toyota that has this switch presently is the LandCruiser.

I think that should cover the vast majority of situations... now, questions?

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 30 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]355951[/snapback]</div>
    So just to be clear, let’s say I now run at 44 psi, can I just go reset the pressure and it will tell me there is a problem when I reach 33 psi, or 75% of my new reset pressure? I must have read over that in the manual. I am understanding you correctly, right?

3. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes- if you set it to 44, it will tell you with the warning light when you reach 33.

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 30 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]355962[/snapback]</div>
    You know Galaxee, it is people like you who give the site such a good name. It seems just when you think you know all things Prius, someone else teaches you something new that you didn’t even know, you didn’t know. Your Awesome!

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Nov 30 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]355964[/snapback]</div>
    why thank you :D

6. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 30 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]355951[/snapback]</div>
    And don't forget, you answered my question on battery life just today in an earlier thread regarding the battery life of a TPMS sensor, about 10 years and the battery is not replaceable.

Great explanation! I wish the manual for all the systems on the Prius was written as you wrote about the TPMS system. Answered all my questions and more in plain English. Too bad auto manuals must be written in a "lawyeresque" style to avoid lawsuits. "Do this and don't do that" often leaves me wondering why. Fortunately with PriusChat I can usually find the answer to my questions.

Rick
    #4 2006

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Nov 30 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]356023[/snapback]</div>
    thanks, i'd forgotten about that already! i added it into the original post.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    *bump*

some more questions coming up that are all answered here... hopefully this will make the thread more visible.

9. joeryan147

joeryan147 New Member

Galaxee wrote "Now should you swap wheels altogether and decide to go without the sensors altogether, you will see that light all the time. It seems to take a while for the car to realize that you no longer have the sensors in there, and the light is a bit erratic. If you store your stock wheels with sensors inside within about 60 feet of the car, it will make the lighting up of the warning light even more erratic because the car will communicate with the sensors when you start up near them."

Thanks for the useful information. Yesterday, I put snow tires and new wheels without sensors on our 2007 #2. I've driven about 100 miles. The TPMS light has not yet come on. The stock wheels with the sensors are still at the tire dealership, so they are not affecting it. When you say "it seems to take a while", how long would you expect? I am wondering if the TPMS was working correctly. I do see the light come on during startup.

Joe R

10. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Actually, I decided to ignore the OEM TPMS on my 2007 Prius.

Instead, I purchased an aftermarket "direct TPMS" (similar to what I already had in my HCH-2) that offers me a little more detail about the actual pressure on each wheel. Granted, probably overkill for most folks, but at least it displays the individual tire pressures with a precision of +1 or -1 lbs/in (as well as the individual temperatures too).

I do this mostly for FE purposes and also because I can use an additional sensor set for the winter wheels too with very little add-on cost.

Cheers;

MSantos

11. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    MSantos or galaxee,

Do you know the brand of the TPMS in the Prius 2007?
    Are there better replacement sensors that are compatible with the Prius system?

25% seems like a lot. (35 normal, 26 alarm)
    MSantos' sensors with +/-1 psi may be too tight.
    5-10% sounds acceptable. (35 normal, 33-31 alarm)

I planned to get rims and winter tires.
    Prius sensors at $105 is expensive.
    PressurePro Sensors detects a 12.5% drop for $50. Better than the expensive Prius sensors and half the price.

ukr2
    2007 #5 Metalic Gray

12. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ukr2 @ Feb 8 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]387231[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the +/-1 psi is the reading precision of the unit. The warning threshold can be user set at any value (20psi to 73psi) . For instance, I set my front tires to 42psi and the warning at 40. For the rear tires, I set the pressure at 40 and the warning at 38psi.

I can also set the warnings for temperatures. For example, I set the warning for 60C on all 4 wheels.
    The great thing about this system is that it shows a top view diagram of the vehicle and it will flash the tire that is triggering the alarm or the high temperture. If the flashing continues for a while then the monitor will produce a beeping sound.

Saddly, I have been unable to find a compatible set of stem valves or even a dedicated monitoring unit that is compatible with my Prius. :(
    But then again, I do prefer the type of sensors this aftermarket system has. It is of the strap type which is less vulnerable to damage when repairing a flat and comes with its own weight balancer.

Cheers;

MSantos

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you want a warning sooner, you can adjust for that too. set the pressures higher, set the system, then decrease to the desired pressure.

it's toyota's own system as far as i know. and i think only those sensors are going to be compatible with the car's receiver. but if you can rig up another system in your car, i'm sure others would like to know about it as well. ;)

14. the fish

the fish Member

I put chrome valve extensions on my tires to save time checking pressure and improve the look - BIG MISTAKE! I thought I would share my misery to save others the trouble. I have found discussion about chrome valve caps and possible TPMS interference, but my situation is different.

Recently I took my Prius to an automatic car wash, and the track that pulls it along must have clipped the valve stem or stem extension on the driver's front tire. The Prius valve stem split/cracked along the threads below the valve point rendering my tire flat within seconds. I am currently driving on my spare while waiting on the dealer to order the $104 replacement part. They estimate my total repair around $150-$175 with part replacement and recoding. Should have it repaired in a day or so, but what a headache.

The car wash said they would cover the repair bill which was very nice of them, but they are probably expecting the cost of a normal rubber valve stem ($2) not all this.

15. neilw

neilw Junior Member

I have a couple of questions. Let's say I get a second set of wheels and tires for summer, and leave my stock wheels and snow tires for winter use.

1) If the new set has no TPMS, and is stored away from the car, then it should figure out at some point that I have no TPMS, and the light will go off. When I swap back to the factory wheels in the winter, will the TPMS recognize them? Will resetting the TPMS with the steering wheel button be sufficient to wake them up?

2) If the new set has TPMS, then are you saying I'll need to go the dealer and plunk down $50 twice a year, each time I swap wheels?

Answers to these questions will help decide whether I actually do get a separate set of summer wheels (and whether I get them with or without TPMS), or whether I just get a second set of tires and pay to swap them twice a year. That last option is one I never would have considered in the past, but the $$ and hassle of the TPMS may make it the lesser of two evils.

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. yes, they are registered to the car. they will not really go to sleep... just send out a signal that is not picked up by anything. putting them back on the car will put them within communications range again, all is good.

2. yep. then you need to re-register each set. think also of the cost of TPMS sensors for the new set of wheels and make sure they fit in there.

17. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a question on resetting the TPMS. The manual steps are (paraphrased):

1. Put the system into IGN-ON

2. Hold the Set button until the TPMS warning light blinks 3x

3. Leave the system in IGN-ON for a few minutes

It's the vagaries of step 3 that bother me. Does anyone know if that step is necessary? If so, how long should the system be left on for? If I turn it off after 3 minutes, & it wasn't quite 'done', will the TPMS revert to the prior setting, or be left non-functioning? :blink:

18. Jamielynn05

Jamielynn05 New Member

I recently got back from vacation and when I got in my car for the first time the tire pressure light was on. I attributed it to the cold weather and had air put in my tires. The light went off after driving for a bit. A couple of days later by Fiance was driving the car and hit something in the road, we got a flat. Once we got a new tire put on the light went out after driving for about 10 minutes. We drove 4 hours home and no problems. Later that evening we went out again and the tire pressure light was back on when we started the car. It went out again after about 20 minutes of driving. The next day, the light was still on, I had to have my 5,000 mile maintenance done anyway and they rotated the tires. The light has still not gone off and that was yesterday that the tires were rotated. Wouldn't they check the pressure when the rotated them? Also, If the light went out after getting the new tire, wouldn't that mean the system is working correctly? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

19. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jamielynn05 @ Oct 30 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]532575[/snapback]</div>
    Jamie,

My dealer didn't want to set my tires to the User recommended 42/40 or 40/38 until I insisted.

I suggest adding air to cold tires until the pressure is 2 psi higher than you desire.
    Then set the Tire Pressure button.
    Then lower the pressure in the cold tires to the desired pressure.
    This reduces the pressure sensor range in half and should Light at 2 psi below the your desired pressure.

Remember, driving the car for a mile or more will increase the tire pressure as the tire temperature increases. That's why your LIGHT went out after driving.
    Only set the pressure when the tires are cold.

20. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I hate to sound ignorant but, since I haven't actually seen the Prius vlave core set up ..Question ???

When changing tires can (the tire store) change the valve syems (like a regular tire) or not ? I did not see that mentioned above ????

OR...should we just leave the valve stems alone to prevent damage to the sensors ???

Thanks in advance for an explanation !!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Oct 31 2007, 07:23 AM) [snapback]532843[/snapback]</div>