1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Swap Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by venom700, Sep 10, 2009.

1. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone has their sensors swapped from the stock wheels/tires to aftermarket? If so, what was the cost for that. I am looking at upgrading to 17" combo & want to know if it's worth having them swapped or just buying new ones.

Also, does the dealer have to do any programming with a swap of them, or just with new sensors?

Thanks!

2. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just did mine yesterday Venom. Was $15 per tire for mine although I was swapping my factory 17" tires over to the new wheels. All they have to do is literally deflate the tire, break the bead and unscrew the sensor from the valve stem hole. Not a big deal really, but would guess that it would be somewhere between $5-$15 per tire depending on your shop.

3. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And I take it once installed on new tires, there is no need to re-do any programming but to merely re-set the monitoring level?

4. SkyDa-GS

SkyDa-GS New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I Paid $60 for 4 TPMS swap from 15" stock into 17" aftermarket wheels. You don't need to go back to dealer to do any programming. :)

5. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, I figured with the "swap" that it would be as such. Only concern is, if I buy a new wheel/tire combo already mounted/balanced, will adding in the senors afterward cause me to get them re-balanced?

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course it would. You have to deflate the mounted tires to put the sensors in, then reinflate and re-balance to compensate for the sensor, no?:confused: