1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS weirdness???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WilDavis, Nov 20, 2015.

1. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2009 Gen II (touring) and have just swapped the 16" Toyota Rims (shod with Michelin Energy Savers) with TPMS, with the winter 15" steelies (shod with Blizzak WS-80) no TPMS, and so here am I armed with a piece of black GafferTape ready to hide the NagLight which I know must be working since it lights up (and then goes out) when the system is switched on. I was expecting the NagLight to turn off only when I put the car in the garage (where the summer wheels are stored), but I've driven at least 20 miles with the non-TPMS wheels, and the car was parked about a ¼ mile away from the garage last night, and the light is still off! Curious, wot? :confused:

Edit: I didn't reset the TPMS system, perhaps I should do that, although intuitively that seems to make little sense!!!

#1 WilDavis, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    CLUBGUY likes this.
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    WOT??? Definitely weird. Sometimes the Prius can do some funny stuff. Interesting post, will follow to see how this one turns out. I had trouble with that light when we mounted the new Energy Saver A/S before I sold our Gen II. When it came out of the tire shop, the light was on. I reset the system three times before the light finally went off. I just knew they busted one of the sensors. But after the third try no more problems... Sort of like your escapade. Weird...

Thanks for the post Wil

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our TPMS light goes off sometimes, when we've got the snow tires (without sensors) on. I attribute it to the regular tires being right next to the car when it's pulled into the garage, that there's some delay in the tpms reaction time.

Also, I wouldn't bother with sticking tape on your dash: there's other lights on there constantly, passenger seat airbag status for example. Why mess up the dash with bits of tape?

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

…I've been thinking (…dangerous! o_O) and was wondering if the system is in fact far smarter than what I give it credit for. I wonder if it was to see all four sensors, and if one or more changes, then it flags an error, but if all four go out, then it's smart enough to say either, "OK, so he's changed the wheels", or "Look out William, all your wheels have just fallen off!" :eek: I'll try the reset tomorrow, and see if it makes a difference! Thanks for the response! :)

BTW - if I were designing the system (are you reading this Mr. Toyota?) I would design something like I just described into the system!

dorunron likes this.
  5. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Feel certain it will come on after a longer drive...
    Ours acted the same way until the car was driven for about 30 minutes; hen the light came on.....

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know that - thanks for the reply! (…in fact I seem to remember reading of a similar event in the recent research I've been doing re. TPMS etc.) …useful stuff to know - I love PriusChat! Thanks again!:)

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I was out running errands this morning, and lo! and behold! the TPMS NagLight started flashing, and after a while stayed on contunuously! OK, so what have I learned from this experience? …in the event of a puncture, the TPMS takes anything up to 48 hours to decide that there is a puncture, or there is more than one puncture, or that all four wheels have fallen off/been stolen!!! (…you still reading this Mr. Toyota?) - I didn't notice the light as being particularly annoying (although that might change at night). so for the time being, I'm taking Mendel Leiske's advice! Thanks for listening! ;)

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The reset button is just to establish a new baseline pressure, as far as I know. Kinda funny to say, but good to hear your TPMS warning is on. I suspect it's slower to come on in the case of the sensors just going awol, as opposed to one reporting low pressure.