1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by alex j, Dec 18, 2016.

1. alex j

alex j New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Anyone using TPMS on Prime tires?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Have to in the US.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all toyota's have tpms, are we missing the actual question?

4. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What is this tpms you speak of?

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Pizza Driver likes this.
  6. alex j

alex j New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, as far as I can tell the built-in TPMS only lets you know if the tire pressur is below acceptable level but it does not show what the actual tire pressure is. I have a
    steelmate TPMS on my wife's Lexus that display all four tires pressure in real time. I wanted to see if I can use one on my Prius Prime Advanced. My question in better worded form should be
    "Has anyone used a TPMS (such as Steelmate) other than built-in that comes with the car?"

bisco likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Earlier in the year, the Combination Display in my 2009 Gen II Prius failed, and the local dealer loaned me a brand new Camry for the 3 weeks (!) it took them to get and install the replacement unit (see other threads), during which time I noticed that the TPMS system in the Camry was more sophisticated than that in my Prius (showing each pressure in the individual tyres), but as it didn't cost me anything, I wasn't complaining! ;)

8. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The strange thing is,that Toyota uses the same system as Lexus uses !
    The only difference is,the exact tire pressure levels are displayed on a Lexus but not on a Toyota although our Prius or any other Toyotas BC using TPMS also is fully aware of the exact figures !
    I have allways been wondering why nobody has come up with a method up to know,to intercept that data,as it is beeing transfered to the vehicle wireless by some kind of radio signal .
    I can assure you,the car knows about every single tire pressure !
    I have no idea why it's not beeing displayed as in a lexus !
    It's rediculous when you think about it,as it not so that the car will use more fuel or lose EV-Range by showing it .
    All it needs is an additional screen on the MFD !

#8 civicdriver06, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Trollbait likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It isn't the TPMS; it is what info the manufacturer decides to show you. Just having a warning light, like on my car, to show that a tire's pressure is out of spec is cheaper, than a display that shows which tire is too low, which is cheaper than a display that gives the actually pressure readings. Using the info display would save on those costs, but there is the cost of having someone program a tire pressure window for it.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I guess the answer is "no". ;)

11. alex j

alex j New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Why stop at the two yard line? Punch through and score. Choking!

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall anyone ever upgrading, maybe over in mods? would you have to replace the existing sensors to match the unit you want to use, and where would you mount it?

13. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No additional display needed. There's already a big 11 inch display. Why not program an extra screen for vehicle parameters. My Ram pickup has a screen that shows all 4 tire pressures, one that shows the oil temp, oil pressure, engine temp and transmission temp. Or i can slide it over and display individual gauges. Very handy and very simple.

14. alex j

alex j New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I get brave enough to try, I will mount one that is on my wife's Lexus. The display unit is going to be plugged into the cigarett lighter socket. Hope it does not incinerate my Prime.

bisco likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think most cars are lacking in the info displayed department. While the previous Chevy did, my current car doesn't display coolant temp. There isn't even a vague analogue dial to let me know it's warm enough for the heater to supply heat. I understand that the overheating light is plenty for most drivers, but it is annoying none the less.

The warning light for the TPMS is plenty for me. If it displayed which tire or the pressure, I'd have to go to the dealer to relearn sensors after a tire rotation or remember that the front driver side displayed is actually the rear passenger and so on.
    there is likely an after market display that will work with the factory sensors.
    Toyota didn't feel the need to have a programmer do so.

16. alex j

alex j New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A vast room for improvement. The flood gate is wide open. Now we need a flood.

17. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an area of disappointment that I have with the latest generation Prius (2016 and 2017). In the past you could always count on Prius being a technology showcase, helping to offset the misconception that it is just an economy car. Ten years ago I was wowing people with my Gen II's backup camera, which most people at the time didn't even know existed unless they owned or had ridden in a high-end luxury car. The same with my demonstration of (3-door) Smart Key. Automatic climate control was at the time found mostly in luxury cars. And I would explain how my Prius was one of the first cars to include electronic stability control.

A few short years later I could add to my Prius-promoting spiel that you could now buy a Prius with HUD, collision avoidance, dynamic radar cruise control, lane keep assist, parking assistance, even a solar roof panel. All of which was quite cutting edge at the time.

Now in 2016 I can tell people that the latest Prius ......

The backup camera isn't even current anymore as it doesn't have the predictive (i.e curving path) feature.

No front camera? Come on!

I recently rented an Infiniti that had a realistic looking "helicopter" view of the car and the immediate surroundings. I found it extremely helpful during parking, it even showed which way the front wheels were pointed.

And the Altima that I recently rented had the individual tire pressure display that is the topic of this thread.

Of course I don't expect all of this to be included in the base package, but I just can't believe that none of it is available in a car that in the past could be counted on for cutting edge technology.

ruby, Trollbait and Prius Maximus like this.
  18. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius. To Go Before.

Yet it doesn't even follow closely...

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it's ridiculous to have all that Pressure and Temp data, and not see it!
    Rented a Cruze and that data was front and center.

You can of course see it with miniVCI and Techstream available for $25 from Amazon or EBay, and a laptop. Actually I use a desk top, which is way less convenient.

20. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The MFD has 16 screens showing monthly and daily fuel consumption ,I would have gladly sacrificed one of them for a tire pressure screen !

Bob Comer, Db17 and ruby like this.