1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. marcinpisz

marcinpisz New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A question about winter tires

Can the third generation of the vehicle, or even the second generation of the vehicle have a set of winter tires with separate rims be used for the winter. More specifically, I have read on the Internet that the vehicle can only be synced with a set of four tire pressure monitoring devices. If I am going to use a separate set of rims for the winter tires, is it possible on the generation three to be synced with the winter set of rims by doing it myself if I know the tire pressure monitoring device codes for all the wheels. Does the generation three need a dealer to sync these devices every time. Is there a device I can buy on the Internet that will allow me to sync these wheels myself every time I switch them for winter or summer. This is when you consider that the generation three cannot be easily reprogrammed by the driver for a lots of options. Has anybody had the opportunity to do this on the third-generation or even the second generation?

Thanks

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only one set of TPMS per Prius.

Pleas don't shotgun post on several forums. It makes it hard to keep consistent threads.

Tom

3. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A piece of paper and tape is all you need. Just make sure you check your tire pressure regularly.

4. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW, if all you want to do is reprogram TPMS sensors, there is a $150 device that will do just that:

DIY TPMS Programming - Tool to Program your Own TPMS Sensors - Toyota Scion Honda - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Revolution Supply Co. - ATEQ TPM Quicket Device

Keep in mind that you will need to be buying 4 new sensors for your winter rims. At @$106 each for the sensors, that's a bit pricey on top of the cost of the rims and tires. Personally, I'd skip the sensors in the winter rims and just live with the little yellow light.:D

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know this is sacrilegious but I hate the TPMS. Nothing but added expense and complexity to do something that everyone did on their own for almost 100 years.

6. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Agree 100% Its too expensive considering you can't read the actual tire pressure. Real pressure readings might be worth it and would be something more to watch on the MFD! :)

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sure, if you pay more for a Lexus or Acura, you will see individual tire pressure numbers on MFD. However, in that case, even for a simple tire rotation you will need dealer to do it... That would cost $$$ also.

TMPS has its pros and cons. The other day it lits up on my Mazda CX9. The tire looked OK from outside. (I checked tire pressure every weekend). It turned out to be a nail causing a very slow leak. It serves me well, to put it that way.

8. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the TPMS on a separate fuse that you can pull so you do not see the light?

Never had a vehicle with TPMS this is why I ask

9. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the beautiful black steelies snows on the Prius today
    Did not get TPMS install on the winters
    Drove and notice there was no warning light on
    Then I thought the factory tires are in the back of the car
    Took them out and drove the wife to the pub for girls night out
    Again there was no warning light on:confused:

Is the recieved screwed:confused:
    I guess I should just phone the dealer to make a note and have it check when I put the factories rims on in the spring time

10. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It'll take a few times of starting the vehicle before you'll see the light come on and stay on. If you drive close enough to the others periodically, it'll sense them and the light will go out. Give it a few days and see what happens. If you have the other rims in a garage and park in the garage, you might not see the light at all, unless you happen to go out of town on a trip for a few days.

11. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The light will begin blinking 15 minutes into your drive, and stay on at 16 minutes. When you get home, it will go out almost immediately, provided you are close to the tires with the TPMS sensors. Yes, if you take trips less than 15 minutes all the time, the light won't go on.

12. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the yellow light:D

13. sphawk

sphawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Getting new Prius V tomorrow. I like using snow tires for extra safety, even though our region only rarely gets terrible ice/snow conditions. I could purchase 15 inch tire/rim/extra TPMS sensors from TireRack, delivered at $964. Also have a spare set of 17 inch Subaru alloys (2006 Legacy) and could get the larger/wider snows and a set of TPMS sensors from Tire Rack for about same price, assuming quoted mounting and TPMS sensor installation prices.
    The additional sensors are the killers at $288 in either alternative. Are they absolutely necessary or merely recommended? I know the Subaru rims would look great, but they would require wider tires and I've always heard that narrower profile snow tires are better for traction -- but I'll drive many more dry than wet days this winter and like the idea of more rubber meeting the road -- even in a Prius (just traded the BMW for better economy and lower repair costs).

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The sensors are not required, and in fact will not work unless you go through the unregister/reregister operation twice a year, as the Prius does not support two sets of TPMS sensors. Of course, if you don't use sensors you will get a warning icon on the display.

Tom