1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tracking Birth of Hybrids...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by texassalsa04, Sep 8, 2004.

1. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

Recent article...

MSNBC.com
    Lexus hybrid SUV orders set record
    9,000 'pre-sold' orders; customers can track birth of their car
    By Miguel Llanos
    MSNBC
    Updated: 11:09 a.m. ET Sept. 8, 2004

Lexus said this week that its dealers had taken more than 9,000 "pre-sold" orders for the 2006 RX 400h through the end of August.

That's "significantly more pre-launch orders for the 400h than we've had for any vehicle in our entire 15-year history," Lexus General Manager Denny Clements said in a statement.

New birthing system

Lexus this week said it will provide wait-list customers with detailed information on manufacturing and shipment schedules. Customers will even get to take part in the birth of their car, Lexus said, as dealers will be able to assign a customer's name to a specific 400h before production and then track it through delivery.

"Although we're pleased with the early public response to the 400h, we are mindful of our need to respond to these customers in a timely manner," Clements said.

Lexus added that a specific timeline for showroom models will be announced after pre-production prototypes are tested later this month.

2. mikeslavis

mikeslavis New Member

Agreed...

I wish Toyota had done that with the Prius. It would be nice to have some peace of mind, knowing that the manufacturer is directly tracking your order to ensure that you receive your vehicle in the order the request was processed (to the best of their ability, of course).

So many horror stories from the Prius wait list have me constantly checking my dealer to make sure that their policies haven't "changed" to turn them a bigger profit. I'm always assured that the wait list is handled in order, and no vehicles are being sold for more than MSRP. On my last check, August 23rd, I was 35th on the list and they were still averaging 3 a month...I've been on the list since April (and at least have been receiving the "Form emails" from Toyota stating that they know I'm on their list).

I don't mind waiting for the car I want. I mind being kept in the dark about where my order sits, especially knowing there are are no "rules" the dealers follow on the ordering process...I guess if I wanted to pay the extra $$$ for a Lexus, I'd be all set, eh?

[email protected]

3. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Ive been following the production of my prius since the car was ordered. It is currently in transit and due in the port in week 38/39 for delivery in week 39/40. I watched it go into production and before that in the queue for production.

It all depends on how your local Toyota works. In Germany this is normal. When I had my last Toyota, an MR2 Roadster, it was the same. At any time my dealer could look on the computer and say where my car was.

Unfortunatly for you guys in the USA, Toyota USA doesnt appear to provide this info for you.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Actually, this sounds almost exactly what Dianne was asking/hoping Toyota would do for the Lexus hybrid SUV.

Maybe someone was listening!

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sure sounds that way!

And the fact that the Europeans can order a specific car, and track its manufacture, makes me think our problem is with Toyota USA and not with Toyota in Japan.

6. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This nice add furture for Lexus owners, :idea:
    Well I wish my Prius able to order that way, instead just dispatch from Toyota distribution center. :roll:

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    AAA mmen!