1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tracking right-wing publications

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Every day, in addition to looking at the lead articles in many foreign newspapers translated into English, I have also been tracking 5 right-wing publications: The National Review, American Spectator, Washington times, Weekly Standard, and NY Sun. All of these right-wing publications have become almost silent on the upcoming election sweep. Instead they have been concentrating on what to do in the aftermath of the anticipated blowout. Meanwhile, junior and his team have been stridently assuring their base it will be a close election, but they will prevail.

There is a dichotomy emerging here. The lefties are predicting a huge blowout. The righties are talking how to proceed after the blowout. The white house is supremely confident there will not be a blowout, just a close election in which the right will prevail.

This begs the question. What does the white house know that the rest of the country, indeed World, doesn't? I feel shenanigans afloat again like year 2000 and Florida and Ohio in 2004. Be aware. Become informed, and aware of trends. Be ready to vocally protest voting "irregularities" AKA stolen elections if results differ greatly from polls, current reporting, and your own gut feelings. If there is only one thing left for this country's populace to unite around it should be rigged elections. They do a disservice to our democracy no matter who does the rigging. In the aftermath of yet another questionable election, push locally for paper trail voting options. In the event of election rigging, the paper trail will be the first weapon the media will be able to track to disprove rigged results.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Nov 3 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]343315[/snapback]</div>
    So if the Dems do not sweep it has to be because of "stolen elections" or "rigged elections". I guess the Tigers losing the Worlds Series was rigged too. Or perhaps the 1969 Colts should question the Jets victory?

I am not amazed at all - you already have the votes counted - tens of millions - you have extrapolated from polls that have not been accurate EVER - they poll 1,000 people and make judgements covering millions.

I guess that is why we actually vote - to keep the media both left and right wing from telling us who wins and who does not. I guess that is why they actually play the game instead of mailing in the results.

Hey, if a few white guys in a house can rig the elections of 50 states and thousands of counties they deserve it. I guess if they are good enough to do that, they must be right on everything else too :lol:

Dont tell me - you think gas prices going up and down are also controlled by those same white guys in that same house :lol:

Are they also manipulating the Dow Jones Index :lol:

How about those casualty numbers coming out of Iraq?

3. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Nov 3 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]343315[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose only Republicans rig elections. Now that's why they always win in Chicago...

Rick
    #4 2006

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The White House predicted we'd find tons of WMDs in Iraq, that everyone in Iraq would cheer us greeting us as liberators, that there was an Iraq-Al Qaeda connection (OK, there is NOW, thanks to George), that New Orleans wasn't in any danger from some lil' ol' hurricane, that this Bin Laden guy the Clinton administration warned them about didn't matter, etc. etc.

Given their track record on predictions, this is just more confidence that the Good Guys will win next week.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Nov 3 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]343341[/snapback]</div>

no no no - dont forget to ask kennedy how he won the general elections - remember chicago :lol: how about those 5 ACORN members that got busted for voter fraud - signing up dead people.

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

IMO election rigging is non-partisan, although leave it to the repubs to subvert the separation of powers in government to get it done.

As for wanting a paper trail: without a doubt !!

I voted yesterday in an early election center in New Mexico. The state has in the past year sent registered voters first a paper registration card, followed by a plastic card similar to a driving license -- presumably for ID purposes.

So it was surprising that NO identification was asked for ! Each person filled out a short form that asked for name and address. This information was used to generate a ballot in the person's name, localized to the address cross-referenced to an online database.

This system would seem to prevent double voting by intent, but makes NO attempt at all to ensure the voter is the named person. Weird.

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Nov 3 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]343341[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Nov 3 2006, 12:45 PM) [snapback]343389[/snapback]</div>
    If in my OP I gave the impression vote rigging was a partisan issue, my bad. Not my intent. I tried to make a couple of points including there's not much we all have in common anymore, but I believe we could all rally 'round honest elections.

Another point was to recomment you ingest media from around the world not written for the US market.

And finally, I was hoping one of the bush apologistas might comment on the (surprising) fact that I regularly read the top 5 most right-wing pubs.

Well, some days I communicate better than others.

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There have been reports of problems with the electronic machines in early voting.

From the Miami Herald:
    From KDFM in Texas:
    Please note, I'm not saying these machines have been tampered with or that there's a conspiracy. Just that there have been problems with the machines. If you're voting using one, pay attention when you get to the review screen.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ever notice how polls often get it wrong?

[​IMG]

10. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 3 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]343466[/snapback]</div>
    Very good points and thanks for the links! I read earlier about the Miami area problems but hadn't heard of the ones in Texas. Take it from one who works on touch screen machines (airport checkin kiosks) on a daily basis, if the touch screen goes out of calibration, it WILL register something other than what you touch, and it can often be off by an inch or more! Calibration needs to be done carefully and functionally tested afterwards, preferably by someone experienced with them. So, everyone please, if you use one of these, CHECK YOUR RESULTS BEFORE YOU HIT THE SUBMIT BUTTON!!! Now, for the integrety of your vote after it's submitted, that's anyone's guess.

After the 2004 election, I remember reading somewhere that a number of votes were lost somewhere, it was blamed on a a bad battery in a flash memory card. I can't find any reference of it right now, so if someone can, or disprove it, I'm all ears. There is one minor problem with the explanation for the lost votes, flash memories don't have batteries :rolleyes: All in all, I can't figure out for the life of me, why they don't have paper trails.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 3 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]343367[/snapback]</div>
    That explains is. Florida in 2000 was payback time.

12. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 3 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]343347[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to burst your bubble. No "Good Guys" are likely to win - if there is a (D) or an ® next to their name, the American public will likely lose. Sorry to be so cynical, but this country seriously needs a third (and fourth) party alternative. If you are hanging your hopes on a (D), good luck - but I submit it's just wishful thinking.

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [attachmentid=5601] Riiiiiight election fraud. BaHaHahahahaha that must be it! [attachmentid=5601]

That's why the Republicans have been pushing for Valid ID before voting and the Demoncrats have been saying NO NO NO!

Wildkow

p.s. Nancy Pelosi where are you and why does the demoncratic party have it's fearless leader in hiding? [attachmentid=5602]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 3 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]343505[/snapback]</div>
    Except that the MSM did an extensive study of that very election and the only thing they found out was that Bush won. Who would have thought? :eek:

Wildkow

Attached Files:

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Nov 3 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]343499[/snapback]</div>
    This may be way off base, but is this the incident you're referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_U.S._pre...voting_machines

Georgia 2002

In 2002, voters used new electronic systems to throw out a popular incumbent governor and a serving US senator, both Democrats, in favour of little-known Republican opponents. Polls right up to the election indicated that both Democrats would be re-elected comfortably, the tally on election night showed massive swings against them of up to 12-16%. The explanation, according to the winners, was that rural voters came out in force, but later analysis indicated that no more voters than normal came to the polls that day (source 1) and that there was no major demographic shift.

This was the first Republican elected Govenor of Georgia for 134 years, with a massive swing that pollsters were at a loss to explain, took place in an election based upon Diebold touch-screen voting systems that had just been sold to the state. Afterwards it emerged that Diebold software engineers had changed the programming in the state's machines "at least seven times" leading up to the election.

Before any investigation was possible, Diebold workers had already "formatted the memory flash cards from the state's voting machines, making any examination of the electoral record ... impossible".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Nov 4 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]343666[/snapback]</div>
    That doesn't square with what I recall. Care to give a source?

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 3 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]343668[/snapback]</div>
    Looking right now and the reason for the swing in the votes was becaused the polls were biased.

Wildkow

16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Nov 4 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]343670[/snapback]</div>
    I may be incriminating myself, but if you think software engineers are infallible, you're waaaaay off base. ;)

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 3 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]343668[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.norc.org/fl/

These were some of the Headlines run. Of course as everyone knows “YSMV†(Your Statistics May Vary)

"Florida Recounts Would Have Favored Bush" (Washington Post)
    "Bush Still Had Votes to Win in a Recount, Study Finds"(L.A. Times)
    "Florida Recount Study: Bush Still Wins" (CNN.com)
    "Ballot Recount Supports Bush Win," (St. Petersburg Times)
    "Under the Two Most Likely Scenarios, Bush Won Recount" (Palm Beach Post)
    "Florida Review Shows Narrowest Imaginable Margins with Bush Ahead in Some Categories, Gore Others" (AP)
    "Bush Wins, Gore Wins--Depends on How Ballots Are Added Up" (L.A. Times).

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 3 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]343673[/snapback]</div>
    I . . . I. . . I'm shocked! :eek: :blink: :rolleyes:

Use the 5th.

Wildkow

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Nov 4 2006, 04:03 AM) [snapback]343689[/snapback]</div>
    Ok thanks. The wikipedia long-and-short-of-it is that if a state-wide recount had been conducted, Gore would have won, but that was never requested. As you say, YSMV.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_recount

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Today, 2 days before the midterms, and the silence on the right is DEAFENING!!! I'm so used to their drivel humming in the back ground that absence of it is unnerving. Here are some predictions given in the Weekley Standard...the gospel of the neocons:

William Kristol

Senate: 48 ®, 52 (D)
    House: 192 ®, 243 (D)

Matthew Continetti

Senate: 49 ®, 51 (D)
    House: 212 ®, 223 (D)

Richard Starr

Senate: 48 ®, 52 (D)
    House: 195 ®, 240 (D)

David Tell

House: 205 ®, 230 (D)

Matt Labash

House: 205 ®, 230 (D)

Naturally, these are predictions by extreme neocons EXCLUDING vote tampering. If you factor in vote tampering this poster predicts a D win in the House, but a 1 point save for R in the Senate.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, they're making lots of noise. Didn't you hear? John Kerry told a BAD JOKE!

But about the issues? Yeah, they've been strangely silent. Me? I'm preparing a rousing chorus of "Happy Days are Here Again."

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know the Democrats have their faults, too many to list here. But they're still better than The Evil Party.