1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tracking your friends by their laptops

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Dec 14, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9668317-1.html?tag=head

This software that MIT just put out is a little bit like AIM - you create a buddy list, and can talk to people. But it also throws in mapping technology to tell you exactly where your friends are, based solely on the location of their laptop.

It's a cool software project, and really cutting edge, but i think it raises some concerns. Currently, only people you want to be able to see your location can, which is good. But what's to stop someone from using a similar approach - detecting which wireless nodes a person is connected to - to track someone unknowingly? If you know the layout of the wireless access points (which can, in many cases, be painstakingly discovered and mapped by a determined individual), you could easily find someones location - through either installing a program unknowingly on their machine to broadcast it, or through other means, just as tracing their IP through the routers...

All in all, it raises a lot of privacy concerns about wi-fi networks in general, especially since there's currently a big push to increase the number and breadth of them.

What are your takes on the potential privacy violations that could occur with such abilities? Do you think the wireless standard should be changed with the upcoming 802.11n release, or a future one after that in order to prevent something like this from being effective?

I'm afraid i don't really have an answer yet myself of what i would want... I think i kind of want to wait for the code to be released (they're publishing it under the GPL, so everyone can see how it works) to see how they actually did it as a way of evaluating the threat level - but i'm still not sure how i feel about the implications of tracking someone based on the location of their laptop.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The government can probably tell where you are from your IP right now. I frequently see ads on web sites specifically mentioning Spokane, where I live. I figure the IP address tells the web site I am in Spokane.

So the only thing new in the MIT software is allowing ordinary folks to obtain the same information.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The difference with that, however, is that the IP can be used to determine a general area, like a city or a university - this new software they came out with pinpoints you within a couple of feet...