1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction battery and spot welding?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Struv1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Struv1

Struv1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Question for you all: In looking into my seat extension options, one question came up from my fabricator. Is there any issue in spot welding inside the prius in regards to the traction battery? Is there a circuit that can be pulled in order to disconnect the traction battery if necessary?

2. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    why would they need to spot weld extensions? can't they just make bolt on adapters?

i believe that you can disconnect traction battery by unplugging the high voltage plugs, and you probably should do the same with main battery as well.

but, considering the loads of various computers in prius -- spot welding may not be a good thing at all.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If the car is "off" the traction battery is not connected to anything. It's disconnected, both terminals, inside the steel battery box.

I still don't understand why people are so concerned with electric welding on cars. If you connect the ground electrode very close to where you're welding there is nothing to worry about, regardless of the above.

I guess electricity is still a "black art". ;)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought you were supposed to attach the ground electrode to the back of the radio? :rolleyes:

Tom

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The Prius drive train power electronics are isolated from ground. So, there is no hazard to any of those expensive parts.

But the Prius has a ground fault interupter. I guess there might be a hazard to the ground fault sensing circuity from stray ground current. And if the ground fault sensor is broken, the car wont run. And it might be expensive before the technician figures that out.

Why not just pull the rails, and spot weld them outside the car ?

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remeber when the Prius frist came out there was a mention that you should never weld with the traction battery connected. I would have the person doing the welding call the Toyota service dept. and make sure he's doing everything correctly. A mistake could cost him dearly!

7. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ive welded with trac battery connected, but 90 % of the time i pull the service plug and wait 10 minutes at least, peace of mind to me.

also i usually position the ground clamp on a good ground that is the closest to me

8. Struv1

Struv1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the responses. We plan on working on it this Sun & Mon, I'll let you know the outcome.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no outcome?

10. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ka-Pow!!!!!