1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Discharge in HEV Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by UmpireRips, Apr 28, 2024.

1. UmpireRips

UmpireRips New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Can anyone comment on why the traction battery discharges while driving in HV Mode? (2024 Prius Prime).

Specifically, wanting to gently break in the engine, we drove, mostly on highways, about 80 miles in Hybrid mode. The traction battery went from 93% to 76% during that trip.

If one takes a long trip in HV mode will the traction battery be depleted?

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The traction/hybrid battery powers the electric motors. This is normal. With regular driving, once the hybrid battery runs low on charge, the ICE will kick on to charge it back up in conjunction with regenerative braking.

GcinFl likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It seems the HV mode in the Prius Prime isn't like a Hold mode in other PHEVs.

Hybrid operation requires taking energy out of the battery and putting it back in. A NoPlug just keeps the state of charge within a range that is good for a healthy battery. A PHEV with no more grid charge works the same way. When there is still grid charge left, a Hold mode will try to keep the battery charge at the level when the driver switch modes.

Toyota's HV mode with grid charge left will make more use of the charge left in the battery instead of keeping it at the level at switch over. It means less use of gasoline, but it will eventually drain the battery to the point you can't switch back to EV mode. If you want to run the engine for whatever reason, the battery needs to be drained to the point that EV mode isn't possible.

4. UmpireRips

UmpireRips New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Interesting.

On the one hand, it may make the HV mode a bit more efficient by using power from the traction battery, over and above the percentage reserved for hybrid mode use.

On the other hand, the only way to arrive at your destination after a long trip with EV capability would be to use the engine charging mode to charge the traction battery before you arrive, which is very inefficient.

A curious design.

5. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently posted a video in the review thread where a guy was racing one round with the Prius Prime on the Nürburgring racing track. Despite not being in pure EV mode (who would race like that) the Battery depleted from 80% to nearly 30%.

There is now way it can recharge it when you use all the power for driving aggressively.

EDIT: That means too an "empty" Prime or normal HEV cannot utilize its max power for too long - unlike a Prime with charge.

#5 AndersOne, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Top EV speed was around 80mph in the gen4, and I don't recall news about it increasing in the gen5.

The hybrid has a lower net power rating to go with the smaller battery.

7. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I found when i drive in HV mode, it barely touches the battery at all outside of two scenarios

1) heavy traffic - where the car slips into EV mode more often and stays there for longer
    2) driving more spiritedly, as the car uses the electric motor to deliver more power - which makes sense given the higher combined HP they advertise for the prime over the non-prime model as the bigger electric motor will pull more power from the battery to operate.

When the battery is down to the 0 EV range "blue" mode, I found that the battery meter barely moves while driving. And similarly, if I'm coasting and driving conservatively with no traffic the EV range goes down maybe 1 or 2% when it has a lot of charge leftover. And this is on the same route as example 1 above, since some mornings I get a clear drive to work but not always (and never clear in the afternoon home).

So while it doesn't have a hold mode, i think if you're just driving the speed limit, and driving in a normal sustainable manner, you likely won't ever have the battery deplete very far at all when driving in HV mode. Maybe if you're pushing the car a lot more and driving at a much higher speed the car will pull more power from both powertrains in its combined operation mode more aggressively though.

Mike Ireland likes this.
  8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I also suspect HV mode doesn't try to hold charge when full. It probably will let charge drop to 80% for the same reason Charge mode doesn't go above it. You might end up with an HV usage 'band' just below the 80% mark, which would explain 76%.

I've never seen HV mode letting charge slide, but I've not used it much, and never when full.

reallyreal likes this.
  9. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    very possible, I don't really use HV mode from the jump on my drive, I only use it with a high charge on the battery when I am going at freeway speeds to preserve the battery for when I'm off the highway and for when I am driving home in heavier traffic. It also means I don't need to full charge some nights, and am able to ensure the engine gets used and the gas won't go stale. Plus, the full power of the combined output is very good for passing folks and getting up to speed in the on ramps. Every now and then it's fun to zoom zoom a little bit with the accelerator :)

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    HV mode using EV battery charge was first reported here by someone trying to get a baseline on HV fuel economy. Specifics of the behavior weren't puzzled out. Draining a full battery down some before keeping the charge level could be done for battery longevity. Toyota hasn't shared that info, and no one has done testing.

11. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The vehicle could have been in HV Auto. I don't believe I've seen a situation where driving in HV mode (non-Auto mode) lets the battery go down very much if at all.

I've set the vehicle to HV mode when the battery charge is below 20% and above 80% and have never seen a variance more than a percent or two from the initial battery level. If you turn on HV mode while the vehicle is cold, the battery will go down a few percent while the engine is warming up, but the Prime "remembers" your previous battery level and charges it back up to cover the charge used during warmup.

12. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    In HV mode, it will still draw from the traction battery to assist the ICE when necessary. It's to maximize efficiency. Don't know if the traction battery would be deleted on a long road under normal driving conditions. I will find out soon enough as we're doing a 4,000 mile road trip in two weeks.

13. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont think top speed is an issue for the battery - once youre there it can probably hold it with the combustion engine quite fine. What deplets the battery in HV seems to be very sprited driving like hard braking and accelerating all the time as in the race track example. Not normal driving conditions and nothing most people here would do but it shows its possible.

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, it's the same in Gen 4, but what you observed seems to be on the extreme side.

It will sometimes recharge back and sometimes even to higher than what you started at, but you usually lose SOC in the HEV mode. I typically lose a few percent of SOC in long drives. Tonight, I lost 5% on a 17-mile drive, which was on the high side. You are less likely to get back what you lost if you are driving gently.

Yes, the SOC could eventually go down to 0% while driving in the HEV mode even if you started at a decent SOC, bu that's unlikely.

Bue there is nothing wrong with any of this. Using the traction battery is good for the environment.

This is what Toyota says about it for Gen 4 Prius Prime.

[​IMG]

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Could this just be dynamic management?

Consider: You 'always' want your hybrid battery to be around half charged for maximum service lifetime. Given that most cars spend more than 90% of their existence parked, this counts for a lot.

Except, you generally want a full battery in a Prius at departure time for any given moment.

But when you're in motion, at highway speeds, for an extended period? Why not let the battery discharge a little, to get back to the original priority of holding a partial charge for max life?

After, all, hitting the brakes will regenerate the car's kinetic energy back into the battery for that next departure.

Zeromus likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The top speed is more about the limits of the EV side alone, and not quickly draining the battery.

Could be, but Hold mode came about because people wanted or needed to save EV range for later on in the trip.

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen no evidence that it fails to hold charge generally. The two cases it seems to let it slide more than a couple of percent are:

1) Repeated trips which means the "band" keeps getting reset on each start - over time, that is going to gradually drift, because you're not going to be turning on with exactly the same SoC each time, and there's no long-term memory - the band is reset to current SoC on every entry to HV mode.

2) Not holding charge when the battery is full. That makes perfect sense - the charging rate is limited when the battery is full, so the hybrid system is not going to be able to operate as well with an HV band right at the top - it will discharge more easily than charge. Maybe if it was prepared to really not use the battery, but it doesn't want to do that - it wants to actually perform HV operation, with normal Prius efficiency.

18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You should not even store the vehicle with a full battery, let alone drive it in the HEV mode with a full battery. This will simply shorten the cycle life of the battery. Only fully charge the battery immediately before BEV driving. The battery should be at no more than 70% SOC for vehicle storage and/or HEV driving. 25% SOC is ideal for long-term vehicle storage.

19. UmpireRips

UmpireRips New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    This makes using the Prime complicated and difficult.
    It eliminates the ability to just use it for transportation as needed, but requires careful planning of trips and timing so the battery is in just the correct SOC. And having scheduled all that, is it possible to set the Prime to only charge to a particular percentage? Not that I am aware of.
    Anyone out there just leaving it plugged in to allow remote pre heating or cooling using mains power and not too concerned about micromanaging the SOC?

AndersOne and bisco like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lots of people. only the ones with ocd worry about those things. toyota says not to leave the battery full for long term storage, but they don't define it.
    they also say not to leave it plugged in for more than 3 days, or it will put a higher drain on the 12 volt.

AndersOne likes this.