1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Fan speed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fredii, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Fredii

Fredii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the triangle of death sign, after 280k miles. Actually my son got it a month ago, put in more oil, reset it and it was fine.

Then I get it again, after it had been sitting for a few cold days. I have taken out the battery fan. It is dirty, but Im more concerned that it doesnt spin freely. Like I spin it by hand and it only rotates less than one full revolution when I let it go.

Is that normal? A slower moving fan could damage the battery.

How can I check the fan speed on these Generation 2's? I see people talking about speed level 4 or 5, how can I check that? Or that the fan is as free moving as it should be?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Generally speaking when you have warning lights on the dash you will have OBD2 codes (DTCs) stored in the ECUs (computers). Find a toyota hybrid compatible scanner and post the obd2 codes here for additional guidance.
    Clean up the fan cage, then remove the sticker on the back (and circlip if possible) and place some 3 in 1 oil (or similar) on the spindle.
    Not normal, and a sluggish fan may allow the battery to overheat. There should be codes stored in the ECUs for either condition.
    Many use a mini-vci adapter and techstream, and others will use a obd2 bluetooth adapter with Apps like Dr Prius/Torque/Hybrid Assistant.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Fredii

Fredii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great information, I will try to add the oil.
    Also, The two filters on the duct work to the fan are pretty dirty, I was thinking of replacing or cleaning them, I first got to go to Harbor Freight to find some sort of bit to remove those crazy screws holding the small filters in.

I may try to use a house HVAC filter and cutting those down to size, if I can estimate the filter density.

SFO likes this.