1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Heavy Breathing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rafikiro, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Rafikiro

Rafikiro Mockba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all! I have attempted to search for my question but must be using incorrect terms as I know I am not the first with this question so please keep that in mind!

Got into my 2008 Prius 96,000 miles today, drove about a block from the house and heard this noise. I turned off the radio, then the air system. The noise is like the static between stations on a radio and I found the source to be the traction battery vent in the rear passenger compartment. It is sucking in tons of air. No lights came on and I decided to continue on and it eventually stopped. I just would like to know what is going on and if anything I need to keep an eye on as I have had the vehicle for nearly 100,000 miles and over 4 years and never experienced such a situation.

Thanks!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What were the outside temps? Do you have pets that ride in the back seat area often? Do you often have passengers getting in/out of the back seats?

3. Rafikiro

Rafikiro Mockba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the questions. It was 97 out at the time, this has been a much milder summer thus far than last year for us. No pets in the back, only on trip to the Vet and that is once a year, did take a cat to hospital about a week and a half prior. More passengers than normal this last three weeks. But at the time only driver and front seat passenger. As for getting in and out often, earlier today we had four in the car and got in and out two full rounds (one round = in and out).

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. Rafikiro

Rafikiro Mockba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CWERDNA thank you for the information. Also want to add that the vehicle was in the garage prior to hearing the noise.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think this is a theme forming, where the hot temps of summer bring out the tales of battery heat. Check the thread that is at the top of the Care, Maintenance, and Trouble Shooting section, Hybrid Battery Replacement Options.

Summary is to keep the car as cool as possible, especially before parking. The batteries have an exothermic reaction when pretty full, so make sure that they are not in the green when parking on a hot day. Use reflectors to keep the sun out. Clean the battery fan. Use the A/C as it keeps the battery cooler too.