1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Module Replacement - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Terry Tampa Bay, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Terry Tampa Bay

Terry Tampa Bay New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced two bad modules in my 2006 (125K mile) traction battery. I replaced one other module a year ago successfully. I installed the battery last night and tried to charge it with my Hybrid Automotive charger. The charger would not go into charging mode. So I decided to check the idiot lights on the dash - plug in key and push the power button - every light on the dash lit up and stayed lit. The battery charge indicator in the display on the dash had most of the blue bars filled. I left the power on for several minutes and the engine never started (usually does regardless of state of battery charge for a minute or two when you first power up the Prius).

Obviously, I did something wrong. I've looked everything over and all appears connected correctly. How do I assess what I may have done wrong - or what else has gone bad?

Thanks!!!

I can't yet post a link to my pictures of the dash display - how can I post pictures?[​IMG]

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Call hybrid automotive to help

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you installed the service plug correctly. Read the attached pdf file. Some folks miss the last step, when that happens the ICE will not start.

Attached Files:

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm with dorunron on this. He knows what he's talking about. That is very likely your problem.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if that doesn't work, hook up the mini vci.

6. Terry Tampa Bay

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, that's not it. I have that in correctly. I did have the charger itself wired to the wrong posts. Hybrid Automotive helped me with that. I fixed that and now the charger works fine. I'm going to let the battery charge fully and then I will power up the car again and see what happens - maybe that will fix that also. I did note that the two nuts that attach the big orange wires to the posts were not tight (at all) - so maybe that was causing my dash display.

I'll wait until after the battery is charged to try again - I'll report back. Thanks for the input from all of you.

7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad we could help you today :)

8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After disconnecting the 12 volt battery the car requires TWO pushes of the power button to start. The first push will just light up the dash like a Christmas tree. On the second push the car will start normally. This applies to just the first start after disconnecting the 12 volt battery. Keep your foot on the brake during both button pushes. This has fooled other Prius Chat members. It may or may not be the cause of Terry Tampa Bay's no start issue.

Brad

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. Terry Tampa Bay

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent. Thank you. I did not know that. I'm discharging the battery now - after I charge it up again, I'll give it a test - TWO pushes this time! Thanks again.

10. Terry Tampa Bay

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I'd post a follow up to my recent tread titled: Traction Battery Module Replacement - HELP!!!

I ended up replacing two modules that were the voltage was lower than the others and lost more voltage than the others after a load test. Then I charged the pack with my Hybrid Automotive grid/battery charger and then discharged it three times with my Hybrid Automotive discharger. Of course, after each discharge I ran the charger/balancing cycle. The first discharge was to 0.8V/cell the second to 0.5V/cell and the last to 0.1V/cell.

My Prius has not performed this well now for the past several years. I'm back up to 53 mpg (without hypermiling) or so and unless I
    purposely run a long time on battery only, the blue bar charge display stays full (hadn't done that in a very long time). It would seem as though my Prius is VERY much fixed!

Thanks to all who offered help to me.

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Load testing is definitely a key step many people miss when rebuilding their battery packs. Thanks for the update but wow, that's a really low level discharge (0.8v, 0.5v, 0.1v)........I'll be curious if other have found similar results when doing this. Looking forward to trying one myself when the Highlander version is ready.

13. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not TWO pushes, its TWO separate attempts to start.

- Alex

14. wddanie

wddanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How is your repair holding up 8 months later?

15. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Terry Tampa Bay has not been heard from since late Oct 2015.
    No longer a Prius owner?

Or maybe he never was. Might have just been a shill.

Just one man's conspiracy theory - if I'm way off the mark, a 1000 apologies to the OP.

16. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hrmm, sounds a little extreme to me ;). We've shipped hundreds of systems to FL. From a quick scan of our records, looks like his order was a drop ship request from EV Powers - Hybrid Battery Service and Repair to Terry F. Brandon, FL 33511

Hopefully he does come back and report on progress . . . We'd love to add it to all the other reviews on our FB page:
    Hybrid Automotive LLC

17. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....and a 1000 apologies to Hybrid Automotive......

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jeff,

How do you feel about those discharge levels from our OP? low level discharge (0.8v, 0.5v, 0.1v)

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But are the values really down to that low of voltage? 0.8v? that's 134v for the pack. .5v and .1v? Those would be like....nearing zero...16.8v for the pack. Would the charger even respond? surely the cells can reverse these levels?