1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

traction battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PHLY50, Nov 21, 2006.

1. PHLY50

PHLY50 New Member

Hi I'm new to the forum and considering buying a '98 Prius for my daughter. The car has done 60,000 kilometres. My question is how long does the traction battery last, and I presume it is expensive and a dealer only replacement?

Thanks for your replies, Phil

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHLY50 @ Nov 21 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]352801[/snapback]</div>
    I'm answering from only partial knowledge, but if I recall correctly, the warranty on the second generation Prius is 8 years or 100 kmiles. You've looking at only about 36k miles on a '98 and I've got about that mileage on my '05. I don't know what years of service actually does to battery lifetime, but I believe that the current warranty specs were based on the battery lifetime of the first generation batteries. If that's the case (no promises), you should have at least some life left in the batteries.

Yes. The replacements probably are expensive. Several thousand dollars (U.S.) at least. I"m hoping my batteries last long enough that when they "die" I'll be able to replace them with newer technology batteries (e.g. Li-ion).

I don't think replacement has to be dealer only, but you'd have to find someone else you trust to do the work (including yourself, if you have the appropriate manual). Certainly some of the people installing new batteries to improve fuel economy are having someone other than a dealer doing the installation.

Oh, and welcome to PC. There's a wealth of information here from people who know a lot more about the Prius than I do.

Dave M.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHLY50 @ Nov 21 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]352801[/snapback]</div>
    Phil,

The 98 model was very early and the batteries are now much better. The ones in the 98 (japan only) model have had failures, but as was noted, they are covered by a good guarantee and Toyota has even replaced some at low cost (labor only) when they were beyond the protection. In general the later models 2000+ are better used car purchases. Good luck.

JeffD

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are quite a few of those first gen Prii running around Aussie-land. But the life is probably on the order of 100k miles US or more. That is now an 8 year old battery and definately you're talking about a relatively small group of people who have experience with it.

Yes, it will be a fairly expensive replacement. And yes it is dealer only for all intents and purposes. If the car is a bargain and you don't mind being sure of getting only another 60k miles out of it then take it..it'll probably give you more than that, but consider the possiblity that it could die before then seriously when you make your decision.

There is a group over on Yahoo! that is still active that focuses strictly on that first generation Prius and can give you very good advice with direct experience...I don't think we have anyone here on Priuschat that posts very often that can help you with the details.

Aussie Prius group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/australian-prius/
    Mark I Prius Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mk1_Prius/