1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Troubleshooting and Revival

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EV_Mark, Feb 6, 2020.

1. EV_Mark

EV_Mark New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2008 Prius two years ago, but it's been sitting, and now it starts, but the "triangle of death" is lit, as are the other indicators, and I can't shift it out of park, so I believe the traction battery might be toast. I let it run for a couple of hours in the hope that the battery might recharge, and I noticed that the internal combustion engine shut down periodically, so it almost seems like the batteries are charging, but I still see the indicators. Any suggestions on how to easily determine the state of the battery and how to recondition it if necessary?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    At a minimum you'll need a OBD2 scanner to retrieve the stored codes (DTCs), a hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner would be best.

Many here use a "mini-vci" cable, and techstream (toyota diagnostic software).

There are plenty of threads that can guide you thru reconditioning, try our advanced search feature while it still works.

3. EV_Mark

EV_Mark New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered an OBD2 scanner, so we'll see how it goes, thanks.

SFO likes this.