1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by momstoys, Nov 21, 2009.

1. momstoys

momstoys New Member

I saw the words traction in several posts but don't know what that is. Same as the 12V? I couldn't find those words in my owners manual. Thanks for any enlightenment.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When people refer to the traction battery they are talking about the hybrid battery or drive battery. The 12v battery is usually refereed to as 12v or Auxiliary battery. :)

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Railway electric traction, the use of electric motors to propel rail cars [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction[/ame]

As F8L said, the traction battery stores energy to be used primarily to propel the vehicle. Think about a steam traction engine which later, when the internal combustion engine was substituted for the steam engine became a tractor.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Left photo shows the edge of the traction battery behind & below the rear seats. Right photo shows the 12v battery tucked in the right rear corner.

Attached Files:

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota actually uses "HV battery" for the traction or high voltage battery and "Auxillary battery" for the 12V battery in the tech literature.